i30 Owners Club

GD Front Discs Worn Prematurely?

Offline DA5istME

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent, England
Hi everyone, I hope you’re all well.

I recently had my i30 in at Hyundai for its MoT test and they told me that the front discs had both worn below the minimum thickness - both at 22.4mm. Thing is my car has only done 38000 miles and I hardly use the brakes. I’ve had the car since 6000 miles and I drive very conservatively - changing down the gears and rolling to a stop etc. Sometimes I do a trip and the brakes are still cold when I finish... leading me to think that nothing is rubbing, along with the fact they’ve both worn the same which I wouldn’t expect really if something was rubbing.

Has anyone else had any concerns with the discs wearing quickly? On my SO’s Kia Rio we’ve just changed the rear discs for the first time after 88000 miles and the front are still original.

If anyone has any idea what might’ve happened if there’s something I’ve overlooked please let me know  :D

Thanks,
Jack
  • 2017 GD 5 Door Hatch, Diesel 1.6lt, Manual, White

Offline Covi30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mnt. Isa
gidday jack thats way to much wear to soon only problem is that you only know about the last 6000miles the fiorst owner must have been ridin the brakes.
  • 2010 i30 wagon diesel

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Tura Beach ( Deep Deep South Coast) NSW
2nd opinion ?
Ask to check, DON'T say someone else said too thin.
  • 4/18 Kona H/lndr 1.6T 7dct & 2/18 DM5 Santa Fe H/lndr 2.2 6sp (9/16 Active X)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
gidday jack thats way to much wear to soon only problem is that you only know about the last 6000miles the fiorst owner must have been ridin the brakes.

I think you might have misread that. Think he has done the last 32,000 miles.
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline DA5istME

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent, England
Yeah that’s right, I’ve done the last 32,000

Still glad Covi30 agrees it seems a bit much though

Offline DA5istME

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent, England
And yeah good point I’ll get a second opinion. This is the second time it’s been in the garage though and they’ve flagged it up. I’ll try and find what they measured it as last time (at a different garage, still Hyundai though)

I’ll try and find my callipers and have a look myself

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Did they pass it and put discs as advisory?

Wasn't aware they removed wheels and actually measured.
Thought it was visual check.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline DA5istME

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent, England
They did put it as advisory yeah. And from a video they sent me it looked like they didn’t remove the wheel, but instead did it from underneath the car

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Sounds a bit iffy to me. Looking on GSF website, they may be 300mm discs which start off 28.0mm thick and the minimum is 26.0mm, or 280mm discs which start off at 22.8mm thick, minimum is 21.4mm. I have a 2015 diesel with 15" wheels and the smaller discs. I understand that around 2016 Hyundai fitted larger brakes as standard and stopped offering 15" wheels because they wouldn't fit around the brakes. My front discs and pads are still OK at 61,000 miles.

If you take the wheel off, the minimum thickness should be stamped on the disc. It might be hard to see under the surface rust, but a bit of rubbing with steel wool should bring it up.

My partners's 2011 i30 has now done 198,000 miles and is currently on it's 3rd set of front discs. The only problems I've had is when the caliper slide pins seized up, but that caused the pads to wear down to the backing plate.
  • i30 CRD

Offline DA5istME

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent, England
Ah thank you Brendan, that's really useful to know. I had a look earlier and the mechanics at Hyundai had measured them correctly at around 23mm. I also found the bit in the service manual about the thickness (image) but it doesn't say about the different rotors and finding the minimum thickness stamped on, so that's definitely great to know.

I have a 2017 model with 17" wheels so going by what you've said it'll have the larger rotors. I'll jack my car up tomorrow and have a look behind the wheel, thanks for telling me about that :)

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Quite a few brake disc manufacturers have on-line catalogues where you can search for a specific car model. They will include drawings and specifications. I've found Bendix discs & pads to be quite good, Brembo somewhat disappointing. I check my discs and pads before taking the car for an MoT or service, so I know in advance what state they're in. Offering to change them is a tempting cash-cow for garages.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Covi30

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Mnt. Isa

I think you might have misread that. Think he has done the last 32,000 miles.

got it but still too much. i still have orijinal discs at 200,000 km they are still in the limit.
  • 2010 i30 wagon diesel

Offline DA5istME

• 1st Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Kent, England
Hey everyone,

Thanks for your help on this matter. I checked the brakes and sure enough, stamped on them, it says "MIN TH 21.0 MM" - you can even see it without taking the wheel off.

Again, thanks. This forum is always a great help :)

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Wow.
One Hyundai dealership needs a good kick up the bum.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Wow.
Money, Money , Money as ABBA would say.  :lol:

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Wow.
Bit like the Brisbane Hyundai dealer a few years ago which quoted a lady customer for flushing and replacing the power steering fluid in her i30.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline mickd

• V.I.P

• au Australia

Wow.
Bit like the Brisbane Hyundai dealer a few years ago which quoted a lady customer for flushing and replacing the power steering fluid in her i30.
:rofl: :rofl:

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
That's not as gross as the service shop who convinced the blonde that the halogen fluid in her headlights needed to be changed.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal