i30 Owners Club

Intermittent knocking from rear right wheel

Jc1989 · 36 · 10146

Offline Jc1989

• 2nd Gear

• Kent
Hello all,

Purchased our i30 back in 2018 on hire purchase with Hyundai. The car has been great until recently when going over bumps, sometimes there is a knock that sounds like a pinging metal on metal noise from the rear right side.

It does not always happen, I tried to replicate it by driving both slowly and relatively fast over bumps and there is no pattern. Sometimes when cornering it causes the noise but again, not always.

I tried to push the car up and down from the boot to replicate it but that didn't cause the sound.

Im thinking it might be a shock that is worn. If it is something like this, would it be covered under the 5 year warranty? The car is 5 years old but first registered in October 2015 (assuming that's when the warranty starts), if not, how much would Hyundai charge roughly to put this sort of thing right?

Im dubious about going to a 3rd party garage in case it invalidates us giving the car back at the end of the 4 year term

Thank you
  • 2015 i30 SE Nav

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
I wouldn't think it's the shock absorber at fault, unless one of it's mounting bolts is loose. Obvious though it may sound, I would double check your wheel nuts are all tight. If they're all tight, I would jack the car up and take the wheel off. Have a look at the coil springs and make sure they're not broken. It's often the last 1/2 coil that snaps off close to the end. If they're sound, it could be a worn suspension joint, the anti-roll drop links are a common culprit when the end ball joints wear. Easiest way to diagnose it is to get someone big and strong to bounce the car vigorously up and down, whilst you listen for the knocking sound. If you're very careful, you can place your hand on the drop link joints and feel it clicking, but beware of crushing your hand as the car bounces up and down. There may be a tiny amount of play in the joint but it doesn't take much to make a loud clunk when the car's moving.

If you have to give the car back after 4 years, I assume you have a personal contract plan (PCP)? I would check the terms of service and repair in the contract. The warranty covers wheel bearings, ball joints, suspension bushes, track rod ends, shock absorbers, all rubber components for 5 years/60,000 miles, excluding wear and tear. As your car is still under warranty, why not just take it back to the dealer and get them to have a look at it to tell you if it's a warranty issue? If it isn't, and you don't like their price for fixing it, I would take it elsewhere. When you finally hand it back, I don't think they're going to mark down the value just because it has after-market drop links or shock absorbers fitted.

They would be more concerned about visible damage like dents, scratches, rips and stains on the upholstery.

• i30 CRD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome JC,

As usual Brendan has given some sound advice. Your salted roads and harsh weather conditions can wreak havoc on suspension components over there. 

i've seen this noise caused by a partly detached exhaust bracket near the rear bumper allowing the exhaust to randomly move and make a metallic clunk. So check that too (try and wriggle the exhaust - don't forget to let it cool first though!) :cool:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
As Dazzler points out, it could just be a loose exhaust.This is when you need a friendly garage that can put the car on a lift, get underneath, and see what might be rattling. Even then, it ought to be covered by the warranty, and you are entitled to a free annual car health check during the warranty period, so I'd try and argue they ought to check for something if you think it may be covered by the warranty.

A lot of garages these days won't allow you into the working area. My preferred MoT testing station is different in that they expect you to sit in the car when it's up on the lift, so you're working the brakes and jiggling the steering. If they find a worn joint or bush under the car they will invite you to join them under the car so they can show you what the problem is and give advice on fixing it yourself.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Jc1989

• 2nd Gear

• Kent
Thank you all for your responses.

I am seeing some friends tomorrow so might ask them to help me investigate the noise and I will see if one of them has a jack I can use.

The car is overdue its MOT/Service (was due 3 weeks ago but I delayed it due to the backlog at the garage, given the age of the car I wasn't too concerned but now I will get this booked in). I'm hoping the warranty will be from when the car was registered rather than built. I will see if it is something covered. Last year the cost of service, MOT was £400 but then quoted an additional £600 for new tyres, front discs/pads and new wiper! Silly money for a 5 year old car. I do of course understand those are consumable parts and not covered which is fair enough.

If they do find the fault and quote stupid money to repair it, I'll take it elsewhere.

It doesn't happen all the time, maybe 1 in 3 speed bumps? So I don't think it will be something super serious or dangerous, but could be something that left may get worse.

Thank you everyone, I'll report back any developments
  • 2015 i30 SE Nav

Offline Jc1989

• 2nd Gear

• Kent
I've booked in its MOT and service plus the free healthcheck for August 25th. £600 all in! If it wasn't on PCP I'd get the work done elsewhere, but I am sure the annual service stamp is a requirement.
  • 2015 i30 SE Nav

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Sounds expensive even by dealer standards. Just double check it here...

:link: Request Hyundai Car Servicing | Hyundai UK

Warranty is from the day its registered.

Pinging could be lots of things.

If you didnt't have the pinging you might have got away with the cheaper hyndai Essentials Service booking it for when its 5 years  + a day old. (cars has to be 5 years old to get essentials)

Offline Jc1989

• 2nd Gear

• Kent
Sounds expensive even by dealer standards. Just double check it here...

:link: Request Hyundai Car Servicing | Hyundai UK

Warranty is from the day its registered.

Pinging could be lots of things.

If you didnt't have the pinging you might have got away with the cheaper hyndai Essentials Service booking it for when its 5 years  + a day old. (cars has to be 5 years old to get essentials)

Thats the quote it gives me, though only gives the option for 6 years for some reason? The last service was done as 5 years, not sure why? I have the paperwork for last year still.

See the quote for this year here:

:link: Shared album - Jon C - Google Photos

• 2015 i30 SE Nav

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Just looked at the link.

That service cost is way way far more than I would accept at year 5.

Think year 5 is just minor service, i.e oil change.

My car is now 8 yo and since year 5 have only done oil change as only do 5k pa, level 1 hy essential service and had 12 months free breakdown and home start cover.

This year I'm having an mot and level 3 essential service by a dealer and includes 12 months AA full breakdown cover worth £150, for £269.

If this is a hy dealer they should be  offering you the essential service options once out of warranty.

Re warranty.
I read hy uk has extended warranty for think 3 or 6 months if the warranty 5 years expired during covid lockdown.

You can check both out on their web page via lorians post above.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Any update as interested in the service cost quoted

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
My car (2015 CRDi) is almost 5 years old and done 62,000 miles. I had services done at 18,000 miles (£358), 38,000 miles (£380) and 58,000 miles (£495). The last service included coolant change. I change the engine oil and filter myself between services, using a Mahle filter which is what Hyundai use. I do a fair amount of business miles so the payment for that more than covers the cost of servicing.

Once the car is out of warranty, I shall service it myself. I intend to keep it for at least 10 years, by the time a car gets that old I don't think having a full service history will make much difference to the value. As long as you keep a log of what work you've done, with the receipts, and appear to know what you're talking about, I think most buyers would recognise your car's been looked after, especially if you have a succession of MoT passes with no or few advisories
  • i30 CRD

Offline Jc1989

• 2nd Gear

• Kent
Any update as interested in the service cost quoted

Service is booked for the 25th.

Sorry for the delay replying back. So I've emptied the boot, ensured rear seats are clicked into place etc. Issue remains.

Bouncing the car up and down doesn't recreate the noise but again, it's very intermittent.

I took this photo under the car :link: Shared album - Jon C - Google Photos

The exhaust can be moved by hand and does move about a bit (not sure what's normal?) But doesn't make the noise though again this was only by hand. There is a fair amount of corrosion. My question is, if the noise is due to the corrosion on the bracket holding the exhaust, would the warranty cover that? I'm guessing no as it's not due to a manufacturing defect.

How much would it cost roughly with Hyundai to replace this bracket if it is the cause of the knocking?

My main concern is next weekend I've got a 600 mile round trip to Nottingham, hoping the car will be up to the job. If it is the exhaust I don't want that rear clamp to give way when doing 70mph on a motorway
  • 2015 i30 SE Nav

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

If due to manufacturing fault then I would expect it to be covered but due to location then it may be due to road salt etc.

Had look at my exhaust and brackets.

Photo looks like mine.

The exhaust moves about a fair bit and the brackets are showing rusty on the surface.

Did you ask re service price?

Offline Jc1989

• 2nd Gear

• Kent
If due to manufacturing fault then I would expect it to be covered but due to location then it may be due to road salt etc.

Had look at my exhaust and brackets.

The exhaust moves about a fair bit and the brackets are showing rusty on the surface.

Did you ask re service price?

I did phone to query it and also to state it's the rear wiper I need replacing as I could only get a quote for the front but I was sat waiting on hold for 20 minutes. So I'll try again this week.

Maybe the exhaust bracket is a red herring and not the cause of the knock. It looks heavily corroded as per the pics but difficult to know if it's all just on the surface.

Tempted to bite the bullet and get the car in to a non-Hyundai garage this week to investigate but if it turns out to be a ball joint or bearing then they are mentioned as covered by warranty. But, I am worried about our drive next weekend
  • 2015 i30 SE Nav

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Last time I changed my front wipers I paid £18 for the pair, Bosch aerotwin. About 5 minutes to fit. Rear wiper blade was about £14, but can't remember where from.  No idea what dealer would charge but I would expect it's a lot more.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Jc1989

• 2nd Gear

• Kent
Last time I changed my front wipers I paid £18 for the pair, Bosch aerotwin. About 5 minutes to fit. Rear wiper blade was about £14, but can't remember where from.  No idea what dealer would charge but I would expect it's a lot more.

I did ask a 3rd party garage for the rear wiper but they struggled to source it. Euro Car Parts also didn't stock it. Both advised it would have to be sourced via Hyundai. They could do the front though (for £64 iirc, something silly)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 16:16:30 by Jc1989 »
  • 2015 i30 SE Nav

Offline Jc1989

• 2nd Gear

• Kent
UPDATE: Okay so decided to take it to be looked at rather than waiting for my appointment with Hyundai. The garage put the car up on a ramp and checked all 4 wheels and found no fault. They said all coils are fine, all struts and ball joints look fine. The exhaust is also fine.

They drove the car around the block and did not get the knocking sound.

So basically I was left looking like a car hypochondriac. I drove it home and didn't get the knocking at all. However I feel more reassured it is nothing so serious it isn't happening all the time and at least on a close visual inspection everything looks good.

So this weekend when I drive 400 odd miles I will see how it performs.
  • 2015 i30 SE Nav

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
Rear wiper blade is Bosch A310H. You can get one off eBay for £7-29. Front wiper blade set is Bosch AR140S, you can get those for around £16.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

UPDATE: Okay so decided to take it to be looked at rather than waiting for my appointment with Hyundai. The garage put the car up on a ramp and checked all 4 wheels and found no fault. They said all coils are fine, all struts and ball joints look fine. The exhaust is also fine.

So basically I was left looking like a car hypochondriac. I drove it home and didn't get the knocking at all. However I feel more reassured it is nothing so serious it isn't happening all the time and at least on a close visual inspection everything looks good.

Good decision I'm sure you will be fine. Drive carefully but don't sue me in the extremely unlikely event that a wheel falls off or something.  :winker:

Offline Jc1989

• 2nd Gear

• Kent

Good decision I'm sure you will be fine. Drive carefully but don't sue me in the extremely unlikely event that a wheel falls off or something.  :winker:

Hey if the wheel comes off at 70mph at least it will be over quickly lol
  • 2015 i30 SE Nav

Offline Jc1989

• 2nd Gear

• Kent
Rear wiper blade is Bosch A310H. You can get one off eBay for £7-29. Front wiper blade set is Bosch AR140S, you can get those for around £16.

Oh interesting, thank you. Never changed a wiper before but I imagine it's as simple as unscrewing the old one and screwing the new one in place.

I'll definitely get it ordered
  • 2015 i30 SE Nav

Offline Jc1989

• 2nd Gear

• Kent

Ordered the A310H from wiperblades.co.uk for £10. Thank you, that'll save me quite a bit of cost with Hyundai
  • 2015 i30 SE Nav

Offline BrendanP

• Technical Advisor

• gb United Kingdom
      East Midlands
You won't need to unscrew anything, as long as you just mean the wiper blade, and not the entire arm. The rear wiper blade just clips on and off. Whenever I wash my car I use the rear blade to squeegee the water off all the windows.
  • i30 CRD

Offline Jc1989

• 2nd Gear

• Kent
You won't need to unscrew anything, as long as you just mean the wiper blade, and not the entire arm. The rear wiper blade just clips on and off. Whenever I wash my car I use the rear blade to squeegee the water off all the windows.

New wiper arrived today and after watching a very quick YouTube video was a piece of p*** to change. The new one seemed to go into place without feeling like it's clipping but seems sturdy enough so I'm happy :)

Also the knock has indeed gone. I drove about 60 miles round trip to Ramsgate yesterday without a single knock. So now other than the front brakes sometimes squeaking (which I think may be dust/debris rather than worn pads) the car is running absolutely fine and hopefully no surprises when I hand it to Hyundai for service/MOT

Thanks everyone 🙂
  • 2015 i30 SE Nav

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

That's awesome to hear.  :happydance:

Offline Jc1989

• 2nd Gear

• Kent
Took the car for its MOT/Service today and got told the amount on the website is for a full service which is only needed every 2 years. So I got the interim service which with MOT was £200.

No faults or issues found. Drove the car to Nottingham a week ago and was fine and this weekend went to Hampshire and back without issues.

As I was driving back from the dealership they called and asked if I wanted to trade my car in early without negative equity on my current finance? I've said I'll look at their deals but, I'm skeptical they can give me a car as good as or better than what I've got whilst also settling 2 years of finance without dramatically increasing my monthly payments. I'll take a look though just in case.
  • 2015 i30 SE Nav

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

It's a strange market at the moment be interested in hearing how you go. You'd think in the current climate they would be discounting heavily but new car stocks are generally low due to factory shutdowns and freight delays etc.. Used cars in Australia have been selling surprisingly well too.

Offline Jc1989

• 2nd Gear

• Kent
So I went along and said i don't want to be in negative equity and I don't want to pay more per month unless we got a good deal on an Ioniq (as fuel and tax savings would counteract a higher monthly cost.

They offered us positive equity for our car and a 3 year old Ioniq Premium for £90 more per month however on a 6 month shorter term (so less interest and paid off quicker).

We agreed and should have the new car later this week.

However unfortunately if it all goes through it would mean my time on i30 Owners Club will come to an end :(
  • 2015 i30 SE Nav

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
 :victory:
Don't feel you have to leave. We have quite a few ex-i30 owners, some with keytags to prove it!
 :lol:
:link: Download free 3D printer designs Sad Uncle Mick's Ex-i30 Owner's Key Tag ・ Cults
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Jc1989
my time on i30 Owners Club will come to an end

@Jc1989  Guess what?  I have a 3 year old Ioniq SE Premium and I'm still here ;)
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal