i30 Owners Club

Starter Problem

John B · 4 · 5824

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Hi guys, This audio clip is the sound of my Daughters 2013 petrol i30 GD 1.8 starting up this morning . The sound you hear is when she only pushed the starter button once, the starter then carried on intermittently until it eventually started. After this she turned the vehicle off and it then started okay. I thought maybe a bad battery but I have never heard this before  where the car has automatically kept trying to start on its own. Any ideas on what is wrong would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi John, Can't say I've heard of that happening before.. no idea sorry.  :undecided:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline John B

• V.I.P
  • John B /aka Sloop

• au Australia
      Gold Coast Qld
Took my daughters i30 to my regular mechanic yesterday and got the battery load tested after the unusual starting problem
when the starter motor fired in several times on its own accord after pressing the button only once. Battery is six years old and had already decided it was time for a new battery anyway. The old battery was load tested and showed a reading of 260 when it should have been 500. Also had a scan that showed no fault codes. Unlike a key start it appears that when the starter button is pushed in it activates the starter motor until the engine fires up. I am confident that the battery was the problem, but time will tell if I am correct or not. I should point out when the problem occurred that every time the starter motor engaged it did not turn the engine over so I guess that would be the same as physically keep turning a key start on and off with a flat battery, if that makes sense  :rolleyes: :D

Cheers John.

• Toyota Kluger KXR AWD

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
@John B

Yeah that makes sense.  :goodjob2: :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal