i30 Owners Club

Towbar on an i30?

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

• 2017 i30 Active 2.0lt in Fiery Red
    • Nessa Losing It...For Good
Dad wants to put a towbar on my i30.  Trailer is single axle, 6x4 ft.  Looking to tow firewood, usually 2 cubic metres worth.

Would my car be able to handle it?

What should I be looking for in particular when researching towbars?
  • 2017 Hyundai i30 PD Active Hatchback in Fiery Red

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
Trailer yes, two cubic meters of wood, not sure.

Is the trailer with or without brakes?

Not sure about your wood, but here most common woods weight approx 400-500kg per cubic m. Single cubic meter would exceed the max weight limit of trailer without brakes. 2 cubic meters with brake trailer would be in the upper part of tow limit.

• i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
With the weight of the trailer including 2 cubic meters of wood you'll right at the upper limits, 600kg unbraked or up to 1300kg braked, max 75 kg tow ball weight.

:link: Shop | Towbars Australia

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

Trailer has no brakes.

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Trailer has no brakes.
Then even 1 cubic meter would be overweight, light duty trailer would be roughly 150kg - heavy duty no cage 200kg + 1 cubic meter (500kg).

Edited trailer weights
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 06:12:51 by CraigB »

Offline CraigB

• Global Moderator

• au Australia
      Perth, WA
Also need to take into consideration the trailers maximum payload, your standard light duty 6x4 trailer should be capable of about 350kg which would make 1 cubic meter of wood (500kg) already above the trailers safe carrying capacity, a heavy duty 6x4 averages 500kg payload and would be quite unsafe carrying twice it's limit with 2 cubic meters (1000kg)

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Just an FYI, NSW and Vic have been cracking down on overloaded trailers and caravans. $439 + 3 points in nsw, up to $1682 no points in Vic. I would be quite politely telling your father to find a more suitable tow vehicle. Especially with an unbraked trailer. The i30 brakes aren't epic to begin with either

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Trailer yes, two cubic meters of wood, not sure.

Is the trailer with or without brakes?

Not sure about your wood, but here most common woods weight approx 400-500kg per cubic m. Single cubic meter would exceed the max weight limit of trailer without brakes. 2 cubic meters with brake trailer would be in the upper part of tow limit.

Some of the heavier gums (red river) will run 700kg+ m³ as well

Offline The Gonz

• Admin
  • Afghanistan Vet

• au Australia
      Adelaide

• Callsign GUNZ
Well done, peeps, some epic advice given. Pika is getting some excellent support. :victory:
  • Frugal Firty: FDSLXCRDi5spHyperSilverBodyKit+Mods & MrsG'sPDSRPrem

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

Thank you everyone!  Much appreciated. 

No towbar for me.  Now just to convince dad.  Getting older and much harder for him to understand things, especially post stroke.

Unless he's willing to buy me a new car capable of towing LOL.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Quote from: Pikapolonica
Fingers crossed eh?  :Good_luck:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

Quote from: Pikapolonica
Fingers crossed eh?  :Good_luck:

Yeah ha ha.  I did have the Kona as a loan car during my last service....very nice to drive, just a few things I didn't like about it (eg boot), but was difficult for my mother to get in.

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
The kona is essentially a lifted i30, unbraked towing is 600kg on the 21 model as well

Realistically if you want to tow 2m³ of wood you'll need a new tow vehicle and trailer. 8x5 tandem caged with brakes sort of thing (I have one, rated 2000kg).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 04:27:16 by josh1990 »

Offline Bob.W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour
Not looking to thread jack - but I've a diesel PD - and had considered popping a towbar on for those occasional odd shaped pickups etc (nothing as heavy as 2m3 of hardwood).

Is the concensus that putting a towbar on a diesel i30 a complete waste of time or is it okay - as long as the items to be towed (not inclusive of the trailer which would be a small, standard unbraked one)  were a few hundred kg at most?

It'd be a shame to spend the $700 or so to pop on and then not be able to pull the skin off a custard. ;-)
  • 2017 PD 5 door hatch, diesel 1.6lt, auto

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
Not looking to thread jack - but I've a diesel PD - and had considered popping a towbar on for those occasional odd shaped pickups etc (nothing as heavy as 2m3 of hardwood).

Is the concensus that putting a towbar on a diesel i30 a complete waste of time or is it okay - as long as the items to be towed (not inclusive of the trailer which would be a small, standard unbraked one)  were a few hundred kg at most?

It'd be a shame to spend the $700 or so to pop on and then not be able to pull the skin off a custard. ;-)

The little diesel is a ripper - plenty of torque. PD can go 600kg with no brakes, 1300kg with brakes. I can tow my big trailer (not that I've tried yet) but would be limited to 850kg payload. For an unbraked 6x4 with a tare of 220kg (for arguments sake) - you can slap 380kg load on no worries

Offline Bob.W

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Coffs Harbour
The little diesel is a ripper - plenty of torque. PD can go 600kg with no brakes, 1300kg with brakes. I can tow my big trailer (not that I've tried yet) but would be limited to 850kg payload. For an unbraked 6x4 with a tare of 220kg (for arguments sake) - you can slap 380kg load on no worries
Josh, thanks for the reply - that sounds like it'd still be up to the odd jobs I might need it for  - and as such a viable addition to the car.

Shame the $450 towbar linked earlier has around a $100 delivery fee - will have to keep a look out for a decent one - thanks for the info.
  • 2017 PD 5 door hatch, diesel 1.6lt, auto

Offline Reefmagnet

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Queensland
Bit late to the discussion,  but fwiw I've had a tow bar on my 2008 crd  manual since new and have towed a dinghy about 300 kg all up regularity with it usually on a 300+ km round trip. Wouldn't barely even know it was attached at highway speeds. They'll happily pull a small unbraked trailer within the ratings, would be my experience.

Sent from my SM-T575 using Tapatalk

• 2008 six crd

Offline sundiz

• Technical Advisor

• fi Finland
      Helsinki
I've been also pulling trailer many years without any issues, but weight had been under the legal limit. Usually my unbraked tows have been something around 300-450kg. 2 cubic meters of wood unbraked might exceed the legal limit (depends on wood density).
  • i30 cw 1.6crdi -08

Offline josh1990

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      NSW
I've been also pulling trailer many years without any issues, but weight had been under the legal limit. Usually my unbraked tows have been something around 300-450kg. 2 cubic meters of wood unbraked might exceed the legal limit (depends on wood density).

2m³ of balsa maybe will be light enough maybe, but even radiata (I think this is lightest 'natural' wood here, and pine is generally undesirable as it burns way too quick and hot) is 500kg per m³.  Add the trailer weight and you're well over.

You also have to consider that a 6x4 without a cage will only hold 0.65m³ with 300mm sides. 8x5 will do a m³ - remembering air gaps as well not what it would hold perfect scenario. 

Whilst I have no doubt the little diesel could tow it, there's no legal way of doing 2m³ with an i30.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 23:39:00 by josh1990 »

Offline Pikapolonica

• 4th Gear

• au Australia
      Geelong, Victoria

Thanks everyone...I think dad has forgotten about the tow bar.....thankfully.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal