i30 Owners Club

Turbo Actuator

Offline marty62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands, NSW
Does anyone know if the actuator on the CRDI turbo actually has any oil journals. Hyundai Aust is currently trying to reject my claim as it has a high squeal under load (sounds like belt slip) Hyundai says I should have used 5w - 30w synthetic oil, my mechanic use 10w 30w synthetic, which is clearly stated in my manual as acceptable for my local conditions (Sydney Australia). Any advice is welcome.
Thanks
  • GD PREMIUM 1.6

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
is your mechanic not a hyundai dealership mechanic?
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline marty62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands, NSW
No he isnt, does not need to be as long as he is a licenced mechanic and follows the service schedule put out by hyundai.
Cheers
  • GD PREMIUM 1.6

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
i understand that fully mate.if your manual states that you can use 10/w30 instead of 5/w30, why is the dealership trying to back out of assisting you in your warranty claim? i know of a dealership using 0/w40 in i30 petrol models so i wont use them, even though they are closer than my dealership i bought my cars from. if something goes wrong with my cars its the dealers obligation to repair it as they've solely worked on them. IMO.
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline agentr31

• Top Gear
  • LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME!!!

• au Australia
      Brisbane, Qld
doubt it mate... its a vacume actuator

you are talking about the variable vane actuator?

the turbo its self has oil journals... all turbos do

Offline marty62

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Southern Highlands, NSW
doubt it mate... its a vacume actuator

you are talking about the variable vane actuator?

the turbo its self has oil journals... all turbos do
Sorry am a little confused. I know the turbo itself has oil. If the turbo only has one actuator then yes i presume they are telling me the variable vane actuator....
  • GD PREMIUM 1.6

Pip
If your turbo has run the bearings, apart from the way the car is driven, I'd be looking at the oil too. It's not just the viscosity that's important (probably least important in "normal" conditions) but the quality of the oil itself and its ability to work at high temperatures. 10w30 is an easy to reach specification, suggesting perhaps a less than stellar oil.

By the simplest of measures it must be ACEA B4. I'd expect an oil with this compliance to be accepted by Hy. Sounds like they know something that you don't yet WRT the oil used.

Do you know what brand and type it was?

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal