i30 Owners Club

Banging under vehicle following clutch and slave cylinder replacement

Rof · 10 · 5134

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
Hi.  Anyone had anything similar on their i30 as me?  My slave cylinder exploded recently whilst driving, resulting in clutch failure.  Hyundai replaced the slave cylinder and clutch, which became contaminated (second clutch replacement, first when drive plate was worn).  Since I got the vehicle back there has been banging underneath the vehicle (seemedly on the rear left side) and clunking when the clutch engages.  Has anyone had similar issues and got to the route cause of the problem?  Hyundai can't seem to find any fault and the banging has got a lot worse (and now I've had an incident following steering problems) so am wondering if any of the problems are interrelated.

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Have you checked under the car yourself?

I'd be inclined to check:
 the exhaust is fitted correctly,
 wheel nuts are in all on each wheel and are in fact fully home,
 whether there are any plastic shields and if so they are in the right place or indeed they are fitted correctly,
the cables from the gear change have been refitted correctly,
Slave has been fitted correctly and any pipes are fixed to prevent movement
etc

In a nut shell just make sure everything that should be there is there and is where it should be.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
Hi.  Thanks for the advice.  I will take this list with me to the dealer to get confirmation they have undertaken all the checks.

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Hi.  Thanks for the advice.  I will take this list with me to the dealer to get confirmation they have undertaken all the checks.

I put the list together as the things that I would visually check without the need to lift the car off the ground. Not to use it to "interrogate" the dealer. 

I am not a professional HY or motor techician rather just mr joe public, so please don't place any reliance on this list being a definative list of things to check.  Given the workings of the modern car my list may be well off the mark.

I would suggest that you use the list and do your own visual check.  If you notice something amiss then approach them to obtain clarification.

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
Hi.  Thanks for the link.  Does sound very similar.  Having done visual inspections, short of putting the vehicle up on the ramp, there doesn't seem to be anything "hanging off," or visually loose, however it is rather odd the banging only started since the clutch and slave cylinder was replaced.

Thanks for all your advice.  I've no intention of interrogating the dealer.  Just running out of options having had multiple warranty issues which could fill a side of A4.  :'(

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
The banging underneath the vehicle has been attributed, following independent assessment after Hyundai have failed to diagnose the fault, to anti-roll bar links requiring replacement.  The case is ongoing.

Online eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

Given the poor showing by your dealer for your recent issues, don't name names, but do I live far away so I wouldn't use them?

Offline Rof

• 2nd Gear
Given you live in Wirral, Merseyside, the dealer is not near you, so don't worry.  If you know of any good dealers, gratefully appreciated.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal