i30 Owners Club

Gearbox issues.

wedge69 · 19 · 4313

Offline wedge69

• 2nd Gear
Hello,

I've had my 1.4 petrol i30 for just over three months and 2,500 miles.  The past week the gearbox has started to play up.  It's getting hard to engage second and fourth gear, especially when accelerating.  The gear sometimes goes in (after making a plasticy clicking noise), but sometimes pops straight back out!

This is especially scarey when you are pulling onto a three-lane roundabout.

It's booked into the garage to be looked at tomorrow, but just wondered if anyone has experienced this?

I'll let you know what happens.

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Hey wedge69

That's a new one on me, first and reverse from new have been the common issue.

AFAIK the linkages in the i30 are a cable arrangement, chances are that they just need a bit of adjustment :)
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
I've only got 18,000 on my i30 crdi but find the gear change has been OK from day 1.

I find that when changing I move the stick to neutral, hestitate for a millisecond and then move to the required gear. 

When I had the Accent I had this problem and after a new gearbox HY released a fix and it turned out to be the synco bits and bobs had not been fitted to certain boxes, so I was told.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline wedge69

• 2nd Gear
I'll be interested to see what they say.  At least the five year warrenty means I shouldn't have to pay.  The only hassle is the dealer is 20 miles aways so I have to take time of work.  But at least I can do my Christmas shopping...

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
keep us advised on your problem please mate.  :neutral:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
I have always had to put a load on gear and push to select reverse & give it a quick short rev when its moving to select 1st on the roll, but the other gears are no problem. & once oil warms up its very slick shifting.
I think it's good you all use manuel over there. i like manuel but most aussies now like auto & can't drive manuel unless you give them a kick in the butt :lol:
cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I think one thing I miss since going to the Hybdrid from the i30 is the Manual Box ... I have always been a manual driver but had no choice of box with the Hybrid... :razz:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
I have never in 23 years of motoring driven an auto and have to say hand on heart I would probably panic if I had to :exclaim: :-[

I think that half of the fun of driving comes from getting that gearchange "just right"

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
The nearest I've got to driving a vehicle with an auto box was a milk float   :twisted:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Auto boxes have certainly come a long way in the last 10 years or so..with more ratios and CVT (Constantly Variable Transmission) the old issues of Economy and Performance aren't as obvious.

I must admit until I had a Auto V6 Rodeo as a company vehicle a few years back I was a bit scared of them too..

Than can be a bit boring though compared to a good Manual... :cool:

The trick is going back to a manual after driving an auto for a while (Very easy to for get to put foot on the clutch when you pull up at the lights  :-[
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline paul

• 4th Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Brighton

I find that when changing I move the stick to neutral, hestitate for a millisecond and then move to the required gear. 

Same as :razz:

Offline blumf

• 2nd Gear

• gb United Kingdom

• 2010 UK i30 Premium 1.6p man.
Driving an auto feels like the left side of my body is numb. No clutch work for my left leg and no gear work for my left arm.

I think that half of the fun of driving comes from getting that gearchange "just right"

This too, autos take all the fun out of driving.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
I like driving automatics. My dad had several Jags, the last one an XJS V12. WoW. Felt superb when over taking, that kick down was real fun. The thing was not to kick down to soon, or you would hit the back of the car in front  :eek:

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
This too, autos take all the fun out of driving.

Wait till we get auto steering. Then it'll be like being in a bus  :mrgreen:

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Auto boxes have certainly come a long way in the last 10 years or so..with more ratios and CVT (Constantly Variable Transmission) the old issues of Economy and Performance aren't as obvious.

I must admit until I had a Auto V6 Rodeo as a company vehicle a few years back I was a bit scared of them too..

Than can be a bit boring though compared to a good Manual... :cool:

The trick is going back to a manual after driving an auto for a while (Very easy to for get to put foot on the clutch when you pull up at the lights  :-[

You will not get them in v8 supercars Dazz, auto trans freewheel on corners so you loose throtle control, Auto's trans don't handle as well. but Drag racing most are Auto, thats why i feel Aussies are Americanized not as good @ driving as Euro's.

Offline wedge69

• 2nd Gear
Hello,

Sorry for the slightly delayed reply.

Whoever mentioned that the linkage was cable driven was correct.  They took a look and found that one of the cables had not been connected properly/had come loose.  So they attached it back and tightened everything up, and now it all works properly.

No clue how it happened other than "it probably wasn't put together properly in the factory"....

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Someone else had the same thing about twelve months ago. Good news.

Sent via swype & tapatalk on Android

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
 :D :D :D

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Hello,

Sorry for the slightly delayed reply.

Whoever mentioned that the linkage was cable driven was correct.  They took a look and found that one of the cables had not been connected properly/had come loose.  So they attached it back and tightened everything up, and now it all works properly.

No clue how it happened other than "it probably wasn't put together properly in the factory"....

Good result  :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal