i30 Owners Club

1.6 CRDi Auto 4 speed.

Offline Martin88

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Newcastle, United Kingdom
Just wondering what other owners are getting MPG wise.

Regards.

Offline ithurtydeesl

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Latrobe Valley, Victoria
My first tank was 45.34 mpg, second tank was 44.81 mpg but driving into a fairly good head wind for most of it....
  • SLX Diesel Auto

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
If my conversion is correct I'm getting around 46.75 mpg in a CW (i think you call them Estate) either way its the wagon.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Talking Hoarse

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      Winchcombe, Glos
So what sort of mpg do we expect from the 1.6 CRDi auto?

My car was registered mid 2010 (so an early "2011" spec car) and has done between 7 & 8 thousand miles. 
Using the on board computer /trip meter display, it was doing 43-44 ish mpg average over an extended period including a lot of longer journeys.  However that dropped to about 40mpg in the colder weather and with winter tyres fitted - although I have reset the meter today and I suspect current mpg (ie rather than average for last 6 months) is rather lower.
I reckon these figures are all a bit "son-in-law" (ie I had hoped for better!) and raised the mpg concern /disappointment with local dealer.  He says that they expect 37 - 43 mpg, so mine is OK.

Anyone got any gems of wisdom or their CRDi auto is radically better or worse?  Thanks
Ed

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I assume it is because of the inefficient 4 speed Auto but the Diesel Auto is around 25% less fuel efficient than the Manual (according to at the Australia ADR ratings 4.7LPH V 6.0LPH) and the CW is very slightly less economical than the hatch due to the approx 100KG more weight in most versions..

If economy is a major concern then the Manual is the best choice by far (although I understand there are lots of reasons why people need to have an auto...)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Joel

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• 2019 N-line i30, back in 2011 SLX i30cw diesel
In litres/100km I get..

On Highway no aircon = 5.7
On Highway with Aircon = 6.4
City driving (mostly peak hour) with a fair bit of aircon = 8.4
City driving (mostly peak hour) no aircon = 7.7

The economy is OK better than most cars but not great thanks to the pathetic 4 speed auto transmission, sadly diesel prices which used to be the same or slightly less than petrol in the past few weeks have been averaging 5-10% higher than petrol. At this point buying an auto diesel i30 wagon wasn't the most economical thing to do, but live and learn ;-)

mick55
In litres/100km I get..

On Highway no aircon = 5.7
On Highway with Aircon = 6.4
City driving (mostly peak hour) with a fair bit of aircon = 8.4
City driving (mostly peak hour) no aircon = 7.7

The economy is OK better than most cars but not great thanks to the pathetic 4 speed auto transmission, sadly diesel prices which used to be the same or slightly less than petrol in the past few weeks have been averaging 5-10% higher than petrol. At this point buying an auto diesel i30 wagon wasn't the most economical thing to do, but live and learn ;-)
I think I'm doing a little better than you, I don't know what my figures are like without a/c because I've never had it off since purchasing the car in July  :lol: I didn't buy my car purely for economy but I used to spend $60 a week with a V6 Magna now I spend $60 a fortnight.  The greatest shortcoming of the i30 range is the 4 speed auto, however in my opinion the torque of the diesel makes it an acceptable combo. I think a petrol auto would be very ordinary, both economy and performance wise. What I love best about the i30 is thee way it eats hills and its 6 cylinder overtaking performance, the economy is just a bonus.  A 6 speed DSG gearbox would turn a bloody good car into an outstanding package. In Australia both manual and auto fans are a little let down both could do with an extra ratio.  The other puzzling thing is why Hyundai don't offer a manual option in the SLX i30cw, my dealer told me "no demand" . You might be interested to know in Adelaide the cheapest diesel is about 6 cents more than the cheapest unleaded. Many servos have diesel a little cheaper than ULP. I'm still immmensely happy with my purchase :D

Offline mantaray

• 3rd Gear
Good writeup mick55, I have a auto as well and get on average 7.4 around town with air, and 5-5.5 on trips. If I wanted economy I would have gotten the manual, but I find the auto good. I suppose a five speed auto strong enough for the diesel would have added too much to the asking price. Overall am I envious of the manual's economy -too right, would I prefer to drive one around town all day-no way-must be getting old.
also the missus said auto or nothing. :-[

Offline inmn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gippsland
I have a 1.6L diesel i30cw auto. purchased in July 2010.
With well over 95% driving on country roads at around 100km/h the car has achieved an average of 6.1 l/100km. Filling it up 22 times over 16,886km in 7 months.
I drive carefully with economy in mind.

I have found individual tank readings unreliable, as the measured fuel economy varies according to how you fill it.
Over the last 5 tankfuls I have manage to fill it up with: 56.09, 56.15, 57.06, 55.80, 57.17 & 55.47 litres.
When my wife fills it up she rarely goes past 45 litres. So depending how it is filled up I have managed readings as low as 5.28 l/100km (when my wife has filled up after I filled it to the brim) and as high as 7.58 l/100km (when I have filled it to the brim after my wife has filled it up previously)

Diesel fuel is very foamy, and when filling it will click-stop at around 45 litre mark and then I spent another 5-8 minutes gently filling it up fully (sometime to the frustration of other drivers waiting to also use the diesel pump). There is a big difference between filling the tank at 46 and 57 litres in terms of frequency stopping at the petrol station!

So to achive the magic 1000km from one tank the car needs to get down to 5.7 l/100km. I don't think it can. The most I have managed so far is 939km.

I am very jealous of Joel who can achieve 5.7 l/100km but I would like to know more about his methodology and if he fills it in a consistent manner.
Joel have you managed 1000km per tank???

The only other thing to note is that I live in the Strzelecki ranges area (Gippsland, Victoria), lots of rolling hills, very little flat country. So I would guess that this would count for a few percent, say 1%-3%, compared with the same type of driving in a totally flat area.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

The only other thing to note is that I live in the Strzelecki ranges area (Gippsland, Victoria), lots of rolling hills, very little flat country. So I would guess that this would count for a few percent, say 1%-3%, compared with the same type of driving in a totally flat area.

Yep it does make a difference ..Tassie is the same and I could only average 5.4 LPH in my Manual CRDi no matter how I drove.  :'(

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

So to achive the magic 1000km from one tank the car needs to get down to 5.7 l/100km. I don't think it can. The most I have managed so far is 939km.

So you only need 61 k's

At what stage do you refill?

If you dare to leave refilling for a few more k's you may reach the 1,000 km's.

Re rolling hills - gentle up and foot off accelerator on the way down.  That may squeeze a few more k's.

I want your next post to say you have broken the 1,000 mark.----

Go for it inmm
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline inmn

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Gippsland
Finally Achieved it - 1000km for one tank of diesel in my Hyundai i30cw Auto :P :P .

I had the luxury of passing through an area with about 5 petrol stations spread over 10km just as the fuel tank was getting very empty and approaching 1000km for the tankful. I had to wait until the very last station, and the trip meter finally clicked past 999.9 and went back to zero. I then filled it up to the brim at 1000.2km with 57.49l of diesel (after having filled it to the brim the previous time).

Fuel economy achieved for this tankful: 5.75 l/100km or 40.9 MPG (US gallons)

This tankful included 3 trips to Melbourne (total 300km for each return journey), so the terrain was flatter than what this car normally has to drive through in my home region (Strzelecki ranges in Gippsland, Victoria)

(I have included a photo of the odometer/tripmeter just before I filled up, notice the fuel gauge!)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Congratulations inmn  :goodjob:  I didn't find it that easy when I had my Manual CRDi .. in hilly old Tassie..

Offline ElleB

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney

• Our Elle B
 Posted this a week or so back, maybe the figures are more relevent in this thread.
 These are the figures from our Easter run up the NSW Nth Coast.

Here are the figures.

2009 i30 CW auto.. original Kumho tyres ....inflation 34/32 cold    .... 36667 Km on the clock....

Tank filled to brimming each fill. Using BP fuel

Trip to Ballina 871.5Km (541.26 miles)  fuel 46.08L (10.1 gal) = Avg of 53.59MPG

Return trip plus run around 1003Km (622.86 miles) Fuel 56.7L = Avg 48.97MPG

Total trip average =51.28 MPG

I found that I have a 0.15 Km /5 KM odometer variation, using a 5Km freeway check. Mine is reading high, so I am doing 30 Km /1000 over the actual distances.

So the actual total distance covered was 1874.5 Km x 0.15 =1818 KM / 22.57L = 50.02MPG

BTW, I still think the Auto is a pain!! Oh for a 5 speed manual from Europe !!  :rofl:

I have a Spider Tune box which was fitted the day before leaving, so is at factory settings only.

But on those figures I am happy.

Cheers

Elle B
  • 2016 i30 CW auto

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
Finally Achieved it - 1000km for one tank of diesel in my Hyundai i30cw Auto :P :P .

I had the luxury of passing through an area with about 5 petrol stations spread over 10km just as the fuel tank was getting very empty and approaching 1000km for the tankful. I had to wait until the very last station, and the trip meter finally clicked past 999.9 and went back to zero. I then filled it up to the brim at 1000.2km with 57.49l of diesel (after having filled it to the brim the previous time).

Fuel economy achieved for this tankful: 5.75 l/100km or 40.9 MPG (US gallons)

This tankful included 3 trips to Melbourne (total 300km for each return journey), so the terrain was flatter than what this car normally has to drive through in my home region (Strzelecki ranges in Gippsland, Victoria)

(I have included a photo of the odometer/tripmeter just before I filled up, notice the fuel gauge!)

I've managed to get at least another 2 litres in the tank so you still had a bit up your sleeve (or in your tank), inmn....  :)

mick55
I havn't filled my cw auto up for a month, trip is showing 760km fuel guage dead on 1/4 and computer showing 210km DTE and 6.1l/100km, I reckon in will make it to nearly 1000km, but i never like to run the tankk too empty as it is possible to pick up any crap or water in the bottom of the tank.  Over the last few weeks I've seen  5.7 and 5.8l/100km but it doesn't last :neutral: I'm always well loaded with cargo, climate air never off and I cruise 110-115kph (2500rpm) and don't drive for economy.  By the way this tank was Caltex Premium Diesel.  On anothe topic people reckon they can hear turbo whine or whistle, I've never heard it because I'm yet to open the windows :D I have now done 12,000 km.

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK
Urban driving, short runs only, 36mpg

Motorway- 10mile round trip (both directions) at speed of about 60mph,  52.5 mpg,

Offline ~ Angel ~

• 6th Gear
  • Personnel Manager

• nu Niue
Well Diesel auto is fine in terms of torque and what I would call "driving pleasure". But there is one point that is not clear.
OK, we accept that diesel engines consume less fuel per kilometer compared to gasoline alternatives.
And an auto car (whether diesel or gasoline or whatsoever) consumes more than a manual.
So in which fuel economy category can we place a diesel auto? This margin is not clear.
I have concluded that it is very close to a manual gasoline.

Offline unfamilia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      melbourne
Decided to fill up last night, not cause needed it just because I drove past servo  :rolleyes:

So took 33lt from 460km with purely urban driving except 50km from deal home on freeway.
I reckon could have made 600km city driving from crdi auto!
So that approx 7.1lt per 100k. Mrs even said wow- so automatically that's 9lt per 100km saving over gt forester and deisel is cheaper than 95ron petrol.
 :goodjob: win for the crdi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So took 33lt from 460km with purely urban driving except 50km from deal home on freeway.
I reckon could have made 600km city driving from crdi auto!
So that approx 7.1lt per 100k. Mrs even said wow- so automatically that's 9lt per 100km saving over gt forester and deisel is cheaper than 95ron petrol.
 :goodjob: win for the crdi

We told you so  :goodjob:

Offline alan2938

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      South Yorkshire UK
1.6 Diesel Automatic.

About 36-38mpg  Urban summer time.

Car fully laden,  getting less mpg. but as yet not calculated.

Best MPG 52mpg, on short trip on motorway doing 60mph or less.

My last petrol car, for every passenger the mpg went down by 1 mpg.

Offline ~ Angel ~

• 6th Gear
  • Personnel Manager

• nu Niue
Appreciate your comments guys. All these may be dependent on the road condition, traffic density, etc... as well as the style of driving.
But I think it will be much more informing if we could also indicate our average speeds when giving our average consumption.
These two should be directly proportional.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal