i30 Owners Club

HELP --- Car won't start

eye30 · 47 · 16055

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Update:

Took the car to dealers for the key to be reprogrammed.

Need to order a new key as the Chip is faulty.

Who needs dealers when we have Lorian  :goodjob:
:whsaid: :goodjob:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Beekster

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
i was just about to link to the mobile phone popping popcorn youtube video, when my searches for it revealed it to be a hoax.

My thoughts ran along the lines of the RFID chip and antennae getting fried by the periodic mobile phone check ins with the nearest cell tower.  Because I know for a fact that my phone(s) and car key will coexist in the same pocket from time to time.

The link anyway -

Given the approx $500 replacement price of the key post warranty, I would suggest it's just possibly a good idea to keep the key and phone(s) in separate pockets.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
I never put my mobile and my keys in the same pocket because I don't want to scratch my phone or crack the screen with my keys... :goodjob:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Another Result - I've had 2 Today!!!!!!!!!!!!

Replaced faulty remote key with a brand new one.

30 minutes to reprogramme etc.

No charge --- All done under warranty

:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Wahay :D
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
 :brilliant: :mrgreen:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline unfamilia

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      melbourne
So I'm in a similar boat, 2nd key not talking with immobiliser. So can the keys be rematched to the car or are they a single flash item, meaning once synced to a car, you can't resync them with another flash?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

So I'm in a similar boat, 2nd key not talking with immobiliser. So can the keys be rematched to the car or are they a single flash item, meaning once synced to a car, you can't resync them with another flash?

They can be reprogrammed by the dealer apparently but obviously they need the car and both keys...

Offline sgreeno

• 2nd Gear
Sorry to reserect this thread, but I am having a similar problem....
Just had the first service on my i30. Left the car on the drive for a couple of days and tried starting it. Sounds like the engine 'ticks over' once then everything cuts out. Have to switch off and back on. Sometimes it fires up on the second time, but sometimes nothing....Took it back to dealer where it was working fine for them and they sent me on my way.

I haven't tried the spare key as the problem is intermittent, sometimes working fine for days and sometimes not!?

Any ideas? Sounds like an immobiliser / key problem?

On the side, can someone in the UK 'flash' their main beams and tell me if both dipped and main beam lights light up on dash
thanks

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Suggest you take the spare key with you so when it doesn't start next time try the spare.

Does it only do it in the drive?
I ask because on another forum a driver was complaining about a similar starting problem and it only happened at a particular spot which was later found to be an "electrical field" black spot.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline sgreeno

• 2nd Gear
Does it in various locations but you can never 'second guess' where itll happen or why!??

Offline BC

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• Melbourne, Australia
Sounds like a battery and/or charging problem to me . .   Because it's intermittent, maybe it's worse on cold days and first thing in the morning & better when the car has been getting a bit of use.
Could also be something draining the battery.
  • I30CW CrDi

Offline AlanHo

• Global Moderator
  • Geriatric Teenager

• england England
      Solihull, UK

• 2021 KIA Niro 3 1.6 Petrol Hybrid
On the side, can someone in the UK 'flash' their main beams and tell me if both dipped and main beam lights light up on dash
thanks

When I flash the headlights on my 2011 1.6 CRDi Premium - both indicators light up.
  • 2021 KIA Niro3 1.6 petrol Hybrid

Offline asathorny

• V.I.P
  • Wonky Donkey

• england England
      Manchester City centre

• Curmudgeon
thanks

When I flash the headlights on my 2011 1.6 CRDi Premium - both indicators light up.

REALLY....  MMmm I'll have to park in front of a shop winder and experiment with this.  I imagine that the main beams flash when I us the steering column thingy, but I will check it out.   the hazards, well, I don't know at all.   I am constantly amazed that as I get older and older how little I actually know   :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :blubber: :blubber:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

Ditto. All four headlamp bulbs and both green & blue internal indicators. Wasn't aware the dipped beam flashed too; show's how much I use the flasher :rolleyes:
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline mtuckeruk

• 2nd Gear
Update:

Took the car to dealers for the key to be reprogrammed.

Need to order a new key as the Chip is faulty.

Who needs dealers when we have Lorian  :goodjob:
:whsaid: :goodjob:

I am a few months late but I had the same problem with my Hyundai, car wouldnt start and it turned out to be the key, key had to be replaced. Although I was like 3 hours away from my house when this happened and managed to find a workaround to the problem. If you switch the ignition on and off very quickly the car would actually start, but it was very intermittent workaround you had to do it like 10 times before it worked. Just in case it happens again and you dont have the spare key nearby

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks for the heads up  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal