i30 Owners Club

I30 1.6 Petrol - Dash Rattle

cwmwilliz · 18 · 10792

Offline cwmwilliz

• 1st Gear
Hi there,

Just taken ownership of a 1 year old I30 with 17k on the clock, purchased from a local dealer in the UK.

More that impressed with the car apart from one annoying problem with a rattling noise coming from inside the dashboard roughly above the stereo area. The rattle isnt constant but seems to appear when at low speeds (20 to 40mph) and when the car is rolling or crusing. The noise disapears if accelerating.

Due to the approx location of the rattle i assume it either the Air Con or the stereo itself. There looks to be an access panel above the stereo, i am so tempted to pop this off to investigate.

But before i do does anyone have/had the same problem??

Regards
Willis

Offline Shambles

• Admin
  • Retyred @ Last

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Hi Willis, welcome to the club.

There aren't any aircon components in the area you've described. Do you have the flip-up spring-loaded cubby hole cover on the top of the dash, or does it look like a blanking plate...?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
If the rattle sounds like its coming from there based on probabilities it'll be the "glovebox" rattle or something rattling in the sunglasses cubbie hole up above.

Sounds travel really strangely.

Offline Myowni30

• 5th Gear

• Midlands, UK
Unless you have the spring-loaded cubby as Shambles said, the access cover is not removeable. You cannot just prise it out, its screwed to the surrounding dash from inside. The whole front of the centre dash has to be removed from just below the air-con controls.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome to the club.. If it is a buzzing noise in the dash which is very common in i30s and is easily fixable please read this thread.. there are a couple of fixes explained and illustrated..

https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649.msg95593#msg95593
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue
Hi and welcome to this growing band of UK owners on this site.

In addition to the suggestions above, have you checked in the engine compartment?

I ask this because although the bits and bobs are fixed to the car body/engine etc you never know something may have come away from its housing and just be vibrating at low revs.

• 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline gsmetcalfe

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Kinross, Western Australia
Hi Guys, i also have just bought an 2010 i30 Auto CRDi. It also had a rattle in the dash area at approx 2300revs. Totally annoyed at the dealer who said 'sorry' it has more than 1000km's on the clock so its your problem. I too thought it was coming from radio area. By chance I was adjusting my rear vision mirror at the same time as the rattle and it went. Then I tested this again and again and each time found that applying slight pressure to the mirror at the time of the rattle, stopped it. My next step is to see what I can do to permanently fix it.  Hope this may help some of you. Regards, Graham

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
Hi Guys, i also have just bought an 2010 i30 Auto CRDi. It also had a rattle in the dash area at approx 2300revs. Totally annoyed at the dealer who said 'sorry' it has more than 1000km's on the clock so its your problem. I too thought it was coming from radio area. By chance I was adjusting my rear vision mirror at the same time as the rattle and it went. Then I tested this again and again and each time found that applying slight pressure to the mirror at the time of the rattle, stopped it. My next step is to see what I can do to permanently fix it.  Hope this may help some of you. Regards, Graham
its got more than 1000kms on the clock, so its your problem.   :censored: :disapp:  it sounds like you've been misadvised graham,you have a 5 year warranty.   they should fix the rattle that you've already found the source of. IMO.  :winker:
 and welcome aboard .  :mrgreen: :goodjob:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Welcome Graham..  :disapp:

Most dealers in OZ would be happy to try and fix rattles for at least the first 12 months... :cool:

A couple of members have isolated a rattle to their mirror but not sure if they managed a permanent fix?

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic

Most dealers in OZ would be happy to try and fix rattles for at least the first 12 months... :cool:

A couple of members have isolated a rattle to their mirror but not sure if they managed a permanent fix?
  Graham,s in oz dazz.  :neutral:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England
      Telford, Shropshire, England.

• Call sign Golf 4 Victor Zulu Kilo
Have a feel under the lowest extreme of the dash, on my car I found the plastic air duct from the heater too close to the metalwork edging and just prized it away a bit which fixed the buzzy rattle I had.
  • Now owning a Ford 1.0 Zetec S Fiesta

Offline TrishCW

• 5th Gear
  • SWMBO at Dazzler's House

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• My little "GEM"

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Graham's in oz dazz.  :neutral:

Sorry, for some reason I thought UK.. in that case send an email to Hyundai Oz and ask them what they reckon (not good enough)  :fum:

Edit: Feel free to name and shame the dealer to us (and Hyundai Australia) I'm pretty sure there is a contact us link on the Hyundai OZ website.

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Anyone still having the odd rattle from behind the dash when turning left in particular... see if the rattle goes away with the extending steering column fully pulled out....

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Anyone still having the odd rattle from behind the dash when turning left in particular... see if the rattle goes away with the extending steering column fully pulled out....

Haven't heard that one before  :undecided: Not really practical for our tall members though (lets hope none of them have THAT rattle)  :lol:

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
I got this problem also within the 1st month when I bought it. It's 1 year old now, rattle not fixed yet (though I checked many threads), I get used to the rattle already, but not giving up.  :mrgreen: It's always during 1800-2000rpm. I don't want the dealer to fix it, I'm afraid they will dis-assembly everything and may slightly damage some of the parts or bring up another problem.
Fyi, try to find the source:
-glovebox, separately try close and open it while driving.
-cubby on the top of dash, try the same way.
-sunglass cubby, also.
-cubby above the ash try, too
-let passenger push the dash and/or air-con outlet when the rattle starts.
-shorten the time period of rattle when accelerating. (decrease the rattle you can hear)
-ask the dealer to fix.
-get used to it temperarily.  :lol:
Now I doubt the root cause is from engine compartment. (not approved yet :sweating:)

Offline Keith

• Top Gear

• england England

Looks to me like it is the spring mounted plastic cover plate that hides the steering column, between the dash-pod & the column. Tall drivers... try popping a piece of dark coloured foam padding in there... see if that helps if you need the steering wheel fully pushed in.

I'm 1.8 mtrs tall & 200lbs, no prob for me with the column fully extended  :goodjob:

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal