i30 Owners Club

ScanGauge11

Lakes · 20 · 4955

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi all, well thank's to Bob (Ouri30) i have the scan gauge set up now and working great. i think it's perfect for the SX CRDi as now i have what i originally wanted but could not get with the SLX that's Cruise Control and now a trip PC that's even more. so will see how i go this weekend i'm confident i can get my economy down below 4.4L/100K average for a tank full ( please note there is a big difference saying i saw 4.4L/100K show on my trip PC & averaging 4.4L/100K for a tank full.
now i can watch MAP @ PSI . LOD, LPH. LP100K, intake air temp, water temp, volts, and more as i drive so will help economy on a trip.
just thought i'd add this, also taking note of readings b4 i go back to stock muffler. i would love to average 3.7L/100K for a compleat tank full

Offline TheBunyip

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      UK
Hi Lakes,

I for one look forward to reading your reports om what the ScanGauge II reveals over time.

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Interesting to me is, that on start up while cold SG in LPH (Liters per hour) showed 0.85 LPH at idle, then after i got it to full operating temp and while idleing at lights it was reading 0.23LPH. my V8 Ute was reading 3.4LPH with it's own trip pc ( i think the Falcons Trip PC shows a lot more info than the i30 SLX ) then on warm up the V8 show's 1.9 LPH to 2.0 LPH at idle in drive but  put it in N and it drops to 1.7 or 1.8LPH i have got this ute to average 8.9L /100K for a tank full and can average 10L/100K doing well over the speed limits . but nothing compares to the i30 in economy that i've ever driven.
also i'd like to test the K&N Direct replacement filter see if it can help economy just don't have a part # to refer too but can order K&N filters through my race sponsor. just will check with Mr Hyundai, but know K&N handles Aussie conditions.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hi Bunyip, thanks m8. will let you know how it goes. i think i'll keep the pipe on till 15,000k then put stuck on as by that time i will know what it really gives, then when i change back i should notice something. as will have had stock pipe on 6,000k the sport muff on 9,000k, 15,000k will come up quick.
will be going away again afterwork, GF & I have a party to attend, also i've been changing my oil every 5 thousand k just changed it again,will stop that once i use this real expencive synthetic i'll leave that in for 15,000k i don't expect to see any gain in economy with the different oils as i have tested that on other cars in the past. but there might be a difference just it's so small you never seem to pick it up .

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Mine arrived at the post office today, will have a 'play' later tonight.  8-)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hey Thumper,  Bob said set the correction at -32% and keep it there. i got it all wrong at the start but i got mine set at -32% now and the L/100K as happens works good and L Per Hour works good.
i use the MAP and interesting to see how the boost works. at the start like Bob i thought was boosting very high but i forgot you have to find normal manifold vacume then anything above that pressure is boost pressure. was interesting as i got used to seeing about 14.8 psi at idle as Sydney is close enough to sea level but as i've done a lot of air quality testing while racing our ellivation changes sometimes you can get really good air. anyway i got up near Katoomba friday late in afternoon and got stopped at some lights saw the MAP go down to 13psi highest i have seen it go was yesterday i excellerated in 3rd gear saw the MAP go up to 33psi as gauge read 14.8psi with motor off and scangauge turned on thats about 18psi i mostly drive with less than 10psi and more often 2 or 3 psi.
i found why i was not getting better that 4.4/100k it was i was useing the cruise control, and it keeps the speed close to the same up and down hills so i had to set low speeds like 90kph to get the best economy. but since having scan gauge set up and watching the L/100k as happens can see driving without cruise control in hilly country i can drive fast and still get good economy just letting speed vary to keep fuel usage down.
i last filled up sunday 17th august, i drove to work and home all last week then drove 370k's west then home still have plenty left so will drive to work till wednesday and fill up as going out west again after work wednesday i'll check economy again temps were down to 4degree friday night in mountains but after 4 hours driving and engine at full opperating temps could still get 3.2L/100k as it happened doing over 100kph on a flat.

ouri30
I've just returned from a trip to Qld for my mother-in-law's funeral (some may remember I had a smimilar trip about 3 months ago for my father-in-laws funeral).

I discovered an issue with the i30 and the ScanGuae II.  I've got it set up to give very good fuel consumption figures (correction is -33.5%).  Only issue is an error which occures when the aicon kicks in.  It takes about 1.2LPH off the fuel consumption.  

Can anyone else confirm this?

Bob

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
That does seem a bit extreme agreed Bob.

Solution: Move to Tasmania. You will never need to use the Air con. :lol:

Right Dazz?

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Actually, You'd be surprised... Even at this time of the year if I set the climate control to anything under 23.5C the air kicks in (on a sunny day) 8-)
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Your know doubt right Dazz.
Actually, Tassie's climate is not to different to Canberras. Our summers would get a bit hotter, typically 30-35 Maximums and accasionally hotter, but otherwise not to different.

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Well, the little i30 is full of surprises!  8-)  I have it sitting in the shelf under the stereo (Above the power sockets in the middle)

Just a check, does the digital read out for the speedo jump about, say roughly 25km/h either way, when at a constant cruising speed for any others?

ouri30
Thumper,

That's very interesting info you are observing.  

I have set mine up with DieselA.

Regards the speed readout, mine is very steady.  The jumping about is due, I believe, to the 2 second gaps between reading data from the ECU (read about it somewhere in the manual).  This shouldn't mean huge jumps.  Fuel consumption does jump about as a result of these gaps in reporting data.

Highest temps for the ºcIA for me occur when I have left motor running while not moving (understandable).  However, the highest temp I have observed is somewhere just under 50ºC.

I'm still mystified by the drop in the readout of fuel consumption when the aircon cuts in.  I shall email the manufacturere and see if they can suggest the reason and hopefully a solution.  Otherewise I am totally pleased with the unit.

Bob

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Bob,

My ignorance is about to show here... but doesn't the aircon compressor consume fuel as part of its normal operation?
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

ouri30
Shambles,

You are correct.  The issue is with the Scanguage.  It is miss reporting the fuel consumption whenever the aircon kicks in.  It also affects the fuel consumption averages and all other fuel consumption related figures.  Bloody annoying.  Otherwise the Scanguage is a ripper device.

Bob

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "EymaTeapot"
That does seem a bit extreme agreed Bob.

Solution: Move to Tasmania. You will never need to use the Air con. :D  ( this is  true) . Humidity can make a big difference in how hot temp's feel. i've worked helping sheering sheep when temp's were 50c but low humidity, stand in the sun and you cook get under a tree and feel's much cooler.

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks Bob for the new correction %, i been wondering why we have not seen you lately, good to see you back again too Thumper and great you got the scan gauge. i have not been checking much on mine other than quick glance at the L/100K as happens and MAP cIA cWT  i always check the MAP before i start the motor as when you turn it on it tell's you the normal engine vacume for the air quality on the day, like here in Sydney i have seen it go down to 14.3 and as high as 14.8 same place just a different day will be useful when i race to check elevation , i've seen it at 13.5 in Orange NSW and 13.2 at Mount Victoria, normally when i check it with motor off it will be same at idle speed but sometimes changes slightly. i don't think i've seen my cIA above 50c yet but have seen how it goes up if you use the boost a lot going up hill's, just means the turbo is cooking i guess. i can't watch it all the time but i keep it where Bob has his, would be good with a playback like data log have.

Just got back from 4 days out west, have not checked the fuel but have over 800k up from this trip plenty left in tank. i went a lot faster this trip knocked 1 hour off the trip time.

Offline whitbomb07

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Newcastle, Australia
G'day all.

Just received mine. Was wondering if anyone has had many more experiences that are worth noting?

Cheers

Daniel

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Yes, noticing a a boost spike before 2,000rpm that suddenly drops off power, only to come back on if you change gear.

Hyundai keep on saying it's turbo lag. The issue is, the turbo is boosting , then drops all boost. How can that be lag?

I have noticed that the Scangauge helps me work out when I need to fit the intercooler cover (When it's cold) and the instant LPH readout helps attain 3+lt/100km.  8-)

Having all these gauges available, without the need for plumbing anything through to the engine, and using the vehicles own sensors, is a bonus.

(Also you'll find the TRUE speed reading)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal