i30 Owners Club

Audi A1 Service costs - split from UK 2 year service costs?

trev012 · 15 · 7309

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
Mine is going in for it's 1st service in a couple of weeks and I'm relatively happy to be paying approximately £120.

However, I cannot believe that my 2nd year service is going to cost me approximately £236 :'(  ,yet when I read in some motor magazines, a 5 year service package for an Audi A1 is ONLY £250 and a 5 year [50,000 miles] service package for a BMW Mini is ONLY £200.

Guess it answers my own question as to what I'll be buying next  :D

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Are you really comparing like for like here Trevor???

I would suggest that an A1 or Mini are in the same sector as the i20 not the i30 which would share sector with the A3 and 1 series.

An A3 service plan is {quote} "tailored to the individual owner" and costs from £25/month and is a 3 year plan not 5 year.  The car itself costs £16910 for the 1.6 petrol which would match your 1.6 i30, so how many £200 services make up the difference to what you paid??

Similarly the 1 series service plan costs £300 for a new car but the used car plan for the 4 cylinder is £635.  A 1 series costs from £18580.  I then ask the same question as above.

You have been extremely critical of the servicing costs of your i30 since day one, but ten minutes of research has given me the above figures for cars which are much more comparable to yours than you had picked!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
That 5 year service plan whilst is appears cheap, but according to the web it has to be bouight at the same time as the car, and over 5 years it only includes 3 oil changes on the LongLife plan.

Offline Gibber

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Yorkshire

• 1.4 Comfort.
I have asked about the relative price of the service costs with  Hyundai, Audis and BMWs with my brother (ex car salesman Audi and now driving a Beemer). The BMW and Audi service costs  gets them business to which they can recommend other work, a 5 year service plan on a three year warranty...  let's not forget hourly rates at these garages for pads, discs etc. Take a look at the BMW forums for eye watering costs. You may wish to think again!

Sent from my HTC Desire
  • 1.4 Comfort 2009

Offline Gibber

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Yorkshire

• 1.4 Comfort.
That 5 year service plan whilst is appears cheap, but according to the web it has to be bouight at the same time as the car, and over 5 years it only includes 3 oil changes on the LongLife plan.

Absolutely, I had a VW on a longlife service plan. First oil change was at 22k miles as it was either 2 year service intervals or when the service indicator decided the oil needed changing, not a good idea.
Needless to say VW wanted to change the rear pads at 22k, yet front ones were fine! £££ for dealership.

Sent from my HTC Desire
  • 1.4 Comfort 2009

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
You have been extremely critical of the servicing costs of your i30 since day one.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have ??

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
8 days after registering with us you posted this (and similar over a variety of boards), I think you will find statements such as extortionate, unacceptable and have to get rid of it after 2 years would be defined as extremely critical :neutral:

Re: Service Interval and cost
« Reply #101 on: 10-11-2010, 14:21:10 »

Well, sorry to upset anybody on this thread but I think the servicing on the Hyundai i30 is extortionate       

I've only had my car for a month now but straight away I'm dreading getting it serviced. Not so much the 1st service as I have been told it is only approx £120 GBP which IS acceptable.

However, the 2nd service apparently is going to come in at over £200GBP and quite frankly, I find that unacceptable  . It is after all, just a typical 1.6 petrol engine. When this is broken down, it turns out that the labour is over £76GBP per hour. Further to this, it has to be done every 12,500 miles.

Now, not to compare cars like for like, my last car was a Vauxhall/Opel 2.0 diesel (Which you would expect to be dearer) but never once did I ever pay £200GBP for any service in the past 8 years. Also, the service intervals on it were 20,000 miles per annum.

I appreciate there are some people on this forum that have come from the likes of Subarus where they would have been paying higher prices, so naturally they will be delighted with the cost of the i30's servicing. But look at the bigger picture and you must agree it is way too dear for Hyundai main dealer servicing in the UK   

Hyundai cars may be cheap(er) to buy but I would argue with anyone that they are cheaper to maintain and service. This may be reason enough for me to get rid of it after 2 years, despite my delight with it so far.

Offline Gibber

• 3rd Gear

• gb United Kingdom
      North Yorkshire

• 1.4 Comfort.
I question the maintain bit, the 5 years warranty is free. Vauxhall's laughable lifetime  warranty only covers the first owner and their small print is worth a read. Like wise Ford, 3 years still.
I would a accept there is less competition between Hyundai dealers due their lowers numbers compared to other dealers. However if you feel strongly go to an independent, just make sure they use Hyundai parts for the service and you are laughing.

I will still take mine to an authorised dealer this next service and at £76 per hour round here its the going rate as any other dealership.

Sent from my HTC Desire
  • 1.4 Comfort 2009

Offline trev012

• 3rd Gear

• scotland Scotland
      Glasgow
8 days after registering with us you posted this (and similar over a variety of boards), I think you will find statements such as extortionate, unacceptable and have to get rid of it after 2 years would be defined as extremely critical :neutral:

Re: Service Interval and cost
« Reply #101 on: 10-11-2010, 14:21:10 »

Well, sorry to upset anybody on this thread but I think the servicing on the Hyundai i30 is extortionate       

I've only had my car for a month now but straight away I'm dreading getting it serviced. Not so much the 1st service as I have been told it is only approx £120 GBP which IS acceptable.

However, the 2nd service apparently is going to come in at over £200GBP and quite frankly, I find that unacceptable  . It is after all, just a typical 1.6 petrol engine. When this is broken down, it turns out that the labour is over £76GBP per hour. Further to this, it has to be done every 12,500 miles.

Now, not to compare cars like for like, my last car was a Vauxhall/Opel 2.0 diesel (Which you would expect to be dearer) but never once did I ever pay £200GBP for any service in the past 8 years. Also, the service intervals on it were 20,000 miles per annum.

I appreciate there are some people on this forum that have come from the likes of Subarus where they would have been paying higher prices, so naturally they will be delighted with the cost of the i30's servicing. But look at the bigger picture and you must agree it is way too dear for Hyundai main dealer servicing in the UK   

Hyundai cars may be cheap(er) to buy but I would argue with anyone that they are cheaper to maintain and service. This may be reason enough for me to get rid of it after 2 years, despite my delight with it so far.

Freedom of speech . To express one's viewpoints.  Sorry, I thought that was the beauty of forums !!

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland
There's no such thing as freedom of speech...... :winker:

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Freedom of speech . To express one's viewpoints.  Sorry, I thought that was the beauty of forums !!

Nobody has prevented freedom of speech guys, your original posts are still there, unedited, for all members and guests to see your opinion.   The point is that you have had a bee in your bonnet about your second service before you had even reached the first service.  You have backed up your opinion with dubious facts and statistics (such as using different sector vehicle servicing prices) and in the spirit of "free speech", you should expect your assertations to be either agreed with or counter-argued.  Failure of either of these things would result in a lot of single posts on any forum surely?
My personal viewpoint which I am putting to you is that you have perhaps been overly critical of Hyundai service pricing and that when compared to other manufacturers in the same segment, that the servicing is actually around the same, yet the purchase price of the vehicle is significantly less, so still a good deal.  My opinion, my freedom of speech, you have failed to convince me otherwise.............as of yet!

Sent from my 1000ET

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
Gotta agree with bumpkin on this.

Just sayin' :rolleyes:
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline Lorian

• V.I.P

• gb United Kingdom
      Midlands

• Midlands, UK N-Line T-GDi
Split from original topic.

I'm sure we will all support Trvour when he gets the bill for his first service, in the meantime enough said here.

Thread closed.

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal