i30 Owners Club

Trouble selecting 1st/2nd when cold, following recent service

Shambles · 44 · 13119

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
Fixed my scratch with my magic Aldi scratch removing kit, clonks have gone, me a happy bunny again :D

Sent from my 1000ET
  • Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Surferdude

• Global Moderator
  • Tyre Guru

• au Australia
      Caloundra, Queensland.
:whsaid:

Reduces the stress on the battery & starter motor if they don't have to turn the full clutch when cranking
I have never done it until I got the Hyundai. Not a requirement on Australian Subarus, at least until recently.
Always found just by putting my hand lightly on the gear lever, i knew where it was. And it was generally in gear because that's how I park it.

Re the stress on the battery and starter motor, I always worked on the basis that every depression of the clutch added to wear on the pressure plate fingers and the cable.
  • 2020 Kona formerly 2009 i30 Hatch 5sp Manual.

Offline 2i30s

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      Hampton Park,Vic
the gearbox oil in our i30's is an oil very similar to an automatic transmission . I've thought about disconnecting the switch on my clutch pedal so i don't have to depress it to start the car. our clutch is hydraulic, not a cable set up Steve,i think that your clutch is the problem mate. IMHO. is it possible someone has given your clutch a hard time?   :wink:
  • 2009 manual sx hatch and 2009 automatic sx cw. both 2.0 petrol.

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
They only had Fergie for 4 hours. They couldn't have thrashed the pants off it, plus, only 0.1 miles were added to the clock, which in itself suggests minimal "road testing"

Travelling back from work tonight I let her idle for a minute or so on startup, and all was fairly good, though the "creep" was still apparent when I lifted the clutch in neutral.

Just gonna live with it for now, but at least that dealership has my problem on record ...
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Pip
Creep in neutral -- this in my opinion means that a gear is engaged or clutch plates touching.

No eye, sorry, this is a misunderstanding of how the mechanics operate.

The clutch is fully engaged (foot off the pedal) so the clutch plates are touching... this can have nothing to do with the clutch. The clutch comes before the gearbox (it's mounted directly on the flywheel) and in this case it's being in neutral that (should have) disconnected the drive from the engine to the wheels, not the clutch.

So if there is some forward drive felt it can only be as I suggested that the gear oil is creating sufficient drag to transfer some torque to the output shaft. It also can't be anything to do with being "in gear" because if it was in gear then it would not creep forward but rather drive forward normally with the engine power; there are no partially-in-gear modes available. It has to be the oil, and the effect would reduce as it warms and will probably disappear in summer.

I would suspect it's a normal symptom of thick oil and cold weather and not a fault as such. If it was not brought about by an oil change then is it possible it was happening before the service and you never noticed it? I think it's natural to have a heightened awareness whenever someone's being touching our cars. :sweating:

Quote from: Shambles
Yeah Trish, no clutch needed to start the car, though why anyone with even an ounce of commonsense would start a car without depressing the clutch is beyond me
I guess I have to admit to having no common sense then. :-[ Until I got the i30 I never depressed the clutch to start a car but I did have a fully automated habit of ensuring neutral gear was s3lected before turning the key. Checking neutral just seemed like common sense to me.  :lol:

As we have discussed in this thread, either depressing the clutch or s3lecting neutral will disconnect the engine from the wheels. One's as good as the other to me. :goodjob:

If I'm right, then a lower viscosity oil could be tried. A good synthetic would be best. Contrary to the higher viscosity numbers used for gear oil it's a similar thickness to engine oil but does not need to have the additives to control contaminents etc. We haven't discussed gear oil to any extent here but as with engine oil they are not all created equal. Manual gearboxes are usually filled for life so it doesn't seem a big deal to change it once for something potentially better than original - although I have no idea what that is. Balking synchros also point to oil that is a tad too thick.

I just thought of one other remote possibility. If the cables were adjusted so badly that (say) the first gear synchro was being pressured this could also impart some mild drive. If it was this however I would also expect you might be alerted to a slight whining noise that would disappear when the clutch was pushed in. The synchros really are a bit like a slipping clutch and could be considered a partial in-gear mode contrary to what I said above. Long shot though...

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^-- thanks for the extensive post :D

My inability to select 1st/2nd remains from cold - and no, it was never ever like that previously. This morning (6oC) I had to miss out 2nd altogether (when first driving away) as it felt like a barrier was there coming down from 1st.

Offline Beekster

• 2nd Gear

• au Australia
      Sydney
My guess is they've adjusted your gearshift linkages - badly - so that in while in neutral a gear's synchro is partially engaged leading to creep when you release the clutch.  You will likely wear out that synchro if that is indeed the problem, and they don't fix it soon.

I'll stress it's a guess, with a further cop out that I've never adjusted them myself, or ever had the need to, and can't imagine how one would go about stuffing up such a seemingly simple procedure.

Does the clutch feel normal in the other gears?  Take up point etc?

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
^-- yup, and the symptoms disappear when she's warmed up.

I'm just gonna live with it. Anything, rather than let those guys touch her again..

Offline eye30

• Global Moderator
  • HOS BOSS

• england England
      Wirral

• Wirral, UK. - 1.4 Petrol Active - Aqua Blue

I'm just gonna live with it. Anything, rather than let those guys touch her again..

Are you with the RAC or AA?

Next time you are out, say at the shops, and you see a patrol parked up just go and ask them their opinion and see what they say.
  • 1.4 Petrol Active I'm no expert, so please correct me if

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
Thing is, the gearing system would be warmed up by then. There would be no symptoms.

Pip

Well I wouldn't live with it undiagnosed. Take it somewhere else.

Offline babis_xo

• V.I.P
  • 6* dummy

• gr Greece
      Body lives in Athens, heart in Thessaloniki

• ...em ot keerG lla s'ti
2002: After a minor -prima facie- accident (someone bumped onto the front right wheel of my corolla) the car's front right side trembled at speeds >120km/h.
2006: After countless visits to almost every authorized toyota dealer available here, still nobody could find a problem. Nevertheless, after several allignments and their recommendations, i had spend a couple of 1.000s € for a complete wheel mount, new tires, rims etc. The problem was still there, but nobody ever verified it. So, i gave up.
2006: (visiting -for the first time- an independent guy for my annual emission check)
-"You should consider replacing your right transaxle, it's warped badly"
-"...."
-"it costs but you should replace it"
-"..."
Motivated mostly by curiosity, i decided to paid a visit to more independent repairers: all of them spotted the warped transaxle with the first glance (just one had to give the wheel a free-spin).

Conclusion: You comprehended it allready. As for me, i didn't buy the new corolla.

* I kept every receipt where my notices of the symptom are shown - toyota dealer's notices are also shown "Tested. No problem found" :lol:
  • 1.4 HB Classic '09 White

Offline bumpkin

• V.I.P
  • Keeping it in the family!

• scotland Scotland
      Aberdeen
My mates ix35 has just been in for a load of recall work and one of the things was to do with clutch/gearbox.

On getting it back they too had this creeping problem, which excarbated last night to no gear selection at all.  RAC out to have a look and the dealer had failed to tighten the bleed nipples properly (clutch fluid everywhere!), RAC man did his thing and all seems well (for the time being).

At the same time there was an issue with the instrument clusters which are apparently being replaced (back to 0 miles anyone :Shocked: ) and they fitted a 4WD one to a 2WD car, light in the dash when they started her up and the mechanic busy telling them to push the 4WD switch.  "We don't have 4WD" "Oh dear that means we have fitted a 2WD one to a 4WD car"  :scared: :scared:

Also had their annual service performed at the same time as the recall work and the RAC man casually asks why the engine coolant level in the header tank is at minimum, not a great advert for the Hy service centre in Aberdeen at all.

I think I will be going independent with the ix20 :sweating: :sweating:

• Kia Sportage 3, 1.7 CRDi EcoDynamics

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Are the ix35's over there made in the Czech factory :question:.. disappointing to hear of recalls and the service issues  :sweating: :disapp:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal