i30 Owners Club

Reverse switch wire ?

zebrapad · 28 · 22475

Offline zebrapad

• 2nd Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Rotterdam
Hi,

I'm a proud new owner of a 2007 Hyundai I30 1.4 petrol.

On eBay I bought an aftermarket radio/DVD/gps player together with a rearview camera.

Everything is installed, but there still is one wire I could not connect, it is the wire which has to be connected to the `reverse` switch.

Does anyone know where to find this cable, other than on the gearbox itself  ?

carib
Hi zebrapad.

First, welcome to the club.

About your question, you can try connect to the rear lamps!

(I'm not an electrician. So I'm not sure if this is the best solution! Just a guess!)

Cheers,
carib

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Welcome Zebrapad and congratulations on your new purchases  :goodjob:

I would suspect Carib is right, but, if you are patient one of our less regular members should know the answer  :D
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW
hi Zebrapad & welcome aboard!

if you have a hard wired rearview camera then i would agree with carib.  if this is so, it wouldn't be too difficult for you to run a cable from the unit to the camera as you would have already done that in reverse (meaning from camera to unit).

another option would be to get an adapter which would turn your camera from hard wired to wireless.  try to look at this link
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/WIRELESS-Module-Car-Reverse-Rear-View-backup-Camera-/190444301491?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item2c575d6cb3#ht_2542wt_905

incidentally, i'm interested in the unit that you purchased.  would you be able to post a link to it?  also some pics of your  :goodjob: handy work would be welcomed!

Offline Alasama

• 5th Gear

• tw Taiwan
      Taoyuan County
I think Carib is right, too. My rear camera also connected to the rear lamp(the white one for backward).

Offline zebrapad

• 2nd Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Rotterdam
Thank you all for the prompt response.

I will try and make some pictures when I decide to open the dash again to put in the extra switchwire from the rear break light (I think I have to connect it to the positive wire am i right?).

The camera I used is bought on eBay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260667682181&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT
It fits like a glove, the minor downsite is that you loose some light on the license plate, but a non I30 owner won't see the difference.

The aftermarket radio comes from a supplier in China, it comes straight from the factory (so no extra costs for middle man), it comes with a new dashboard front.
http://www.hymav.com/productsview.asp?id=7441
I total it costs me around 350 euro, the price I payed for it was 292, but the Dutch customs checked the package and I had to pay some VAT, but it's still cheaper than on most websites.

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW
if there is only 1 wire then +ve is right but i hope you connect it to the reverse light & not the brake light  :razz:  would be interesting to see what the video quality of the camera is.  curious as well about connections. are they all plug & play because the radio units on i30s have these new ports. will the screen automatically switch to reverse camera mode when you put the gear into reverse?   :goodjob:

Offline zebrapad

• 2nd Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Rotterdam
Jabber,

Everything is plug and play, the only thing I extra was soldering the handbrake connection wire to the ground wire (the radio comes with an converter cable, ISO connector), otherwise I could use the DVD while driving.

After I work this reverse switch cable "problem" out I will install the DVB-T tuner to the AUX port, I bought this as a extra option it's a small box 10cm by 5 cm and about 1cm thick, but that can wait it's just a little gadget next to DVD player.

If I get the reverse switch cable connected the unit will automatically change to the rearview camera when I put my I30 in reverse gear.

I will try to make some pictures during my work on the "new"wire and behind the radio.

The picture quality is pretty good, it's not HD of course but you will notice all thing that are going on behind the car.

I'll make sure not to connect the wire to my brake light   :rofl:

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
I'll make sure not to connect the wire to my brake light   :rofl:

You'd be able to see what's about to hit you if you brake hard :lol: :P
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline zebrapad

• 2nd Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Rotterdam
I shot a picture with my phone today while waiting for the traffic lights, I will make some more pictures another time

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW
thanks zebrapad! it looks so neat!  i'm hunting around as well for a combined dvd/gps unit for my i30 but most of those offered show that i might lose the top centre storage compartment.  another worry is the connections from the new unit to the current i30 wiring but if you say its plug & play then my turbulent mind has been calmed!  :razz:

so if you grounded the handbrake connection wire the unit can play dvd's while the car is running?

Offline zebrapad

• 2nd Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Rotterdam
"so if you grounded the handbrake connection wire the unit can play dvd's while the car is running?" That's correct  :goodjob:

I bought the unit from this supplier because of the storage compartment that stays in tact :D :D

Offline Dannyboy

• 2nd Gear

• ro Romania
      Bucharest
Looks great! What maps are installed?

Offline zebrapad

• 2nd Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Rotterdam
Currently I have IGO installed with the maps of Europe

Offline zebrapad

• 2nd Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Rotterdam
Okay, today I had some time to work on the reverse wire.

It's very simple, just connect the radio cable named "reverse switch wire" to the positive cable of your reverse lights.

I've put an extra cable from the back to the front of the car.

Now the unit switches to the rearview camera when I put my I30 in reverse.

I made some pictures during the process, I will post them later this week.

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW

Offline zebrapad

• 2nd Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Rotterdam
This is the view I have now, when I put the car in reverse

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW

Offline zebrapad

• 2nd Gear

• nl Netherlands
      Rotterdam
I,ve made some pictures during the process, but I don't have the time to comment them yet.

For the people that can't wait, there are some pictures on my google album.

https://picasaweb.google.com/denburger/Radio

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club

For the people that can't wait, there are some pictures on my google album.

https://picasaweb.google.com/denburger/Radio

Hi Robin,

You might have to make your album "public" as the pics don't seem to be available ;)

Offline rustynutz

• Top Gear

• au Australia
      South Gippsland

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
They work for me..... :goodjob:

They do NOW ;)

Offline jabber

• 3rd Gear

• au Australia
      Blacktown, NSW

Offline jetguy35

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      Chicago
HI everyone. I saw this thread and this is the exact same model NAV unit and dash kit that I am looking to buy. I have a 2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring. Do you know if there are any wiring differences between the i30 and the elantra touring. If not, this thread has made me want to buy that unit! I am so close to pulling the trigger but I just want to make sure that the unit will be compatible with my car. If anyone can offer there expertise, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
HI everyone. I saw this thread and this is the exact same model NAV unit and dash kit that I am looking to buy. I have a 2010 Hyundai Elantra Touring. Do you know if there are any wiring differences between the i30 and the elantra touring. If not, this thread has made me want to buy that unit! I am so close to pulling the trigger but I just want to make sure that the unit will be compatible with my car. If anyone can offer there expertise, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Welcome Jetguy (are you a pilot? :D we have a few of those)

I would be very surprised if the wiring is different (they are very much the same car) but nothing official I can put my finger on sorry  :confused:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline jetguy35

• 1st Gear

• us United States
      Chicago

Thanks!

Welcome Jetguy (are you a pilot? :D we have a few of those)

I would be very surprised if the wiring is different (they are very much the same car) but nothing official I can put my finger on sorry  :confused:

Haha, thanks for the response. I think you are one of the only people who have taken my username and actually knew what it was. I am indeed a pilot. Most people think I am a new york jets fan or something, haha! Thanks again for the response. I figured that the radios and wiring must be pretty similar if not identical. I can't imagine Hyundai engineering something completely different for a small part in the car when everything else is all so similar.

Thanks!

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
At the end of the day, jetguy, it's the sellers call as to whether the unit matches your spec. You should give them a shout and ask them to affirm the compatibility.

Welcome to the pilots club, flyboy :D

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal