i30 Owners Club

The big question?

Lakes · 23 · 5677

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
      Deep south coast, New South Wales
Hi all, does the SX poverty Pack come with the refuel warning light?
just checking as i have been driving my baby for a week i went away down south coast to past Narooma to a small place called Mystery Bay. then i drove up to near Batemans Bay to a little place called Mogo to visit a friend that has a farm there then back to Mystery Bay then next day back to Sydney had 970k since i filled up in sydney last thursday, now have been driving in sydney traffic and it's been 1,120k since i filled up last the gauge is close to empty but no warning light as yet, i'll keep going till it shows up or it stops. anyone with a CRDi had tghe warning light come on? thats in a SX i mean. cheers

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Hi Lakes,

On page 103 of the Manual Shambles found for Han it talks about the low fuel warning light.. (not model specific) Even the most basic car ever made has a fuel warning light!

Cheers,

Dazz

Hopefully someone with an SX will still provide a reply to make you feel better...
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Thanks Dazz, i expected it would have one just it takes forever to show up! :D he was impressed when i told him how far i go on a tank and what size the tank is.
but his Mazda 6 is a very nice car and has some amazing features!

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

There are some nice cars about... I'll have to keep my wallet in my back pocket going forward (when I was younger used to change cars annually. The i30 will spoil us for economy and range. It's very convenient being able to go so far without filling up! :mrgreen:

Rgds,

Dazz

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
The SX certainly does have a light - I saw it last night - its under the pivot of the speedo, where a orange bowser comes on

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "ozsnowman"
The SX certainly does have a light - I saw it last night - its under the pivot of the speedo, where a orange bowser comes on

Thank's m8, how much fuel did it take to fill right up when the light came on? Or are you brave and still going? :D

Offline Shambles

• Admin

• england England
      Manchester, UK
    • i30 Owners Club
... where a orange bowser comes on
Not here it didn't. I got a pic of an orange bloke holding up a pump trigger  :lol:

Same thing I suppose tho
  • Ioniq MY2018 SE Premium Hybrid in Polar White with added oomph

Offline ozsnowman

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      Central Victoria
Quote from: "Lakes"

Thank's m8, how much fuel did it take to fill right up when the light came on? Or are you brave and still going? :D

Well, it went out next time I stopped the engine, but to be safe i refuleled for 42 litres - i think it was because the car was parked on a slope!

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
it's been 1,120k since i filled up last the gauge is close to empty but no warning light as yet, i'll keep going till it shows up or it stops.

*Chuckles*

I was the same for the first tank, I even purchased a 10lt plastic fuel container and put diesel in it, just in case. At 1,010 km, I pulled over and put fuel in. It took 42lt

So, with a 51-52+ lt tank, looks like I still had another 250km to go.  :mrgreen:

Nice drive, surprised you didn't see me along the way! (I was down in Bega, then up to the Batemans Bay, then back down Bega, across to Cooma, then up to Canberra.)

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "Thumper"
it's been 1,120k since i filled up last the gauge is close to empty but no warning light as yet, i'll keep going till it shows up or it stops.

*Chuckles*

I was the same for the first tank, I even purchased a 10lt plastic fuel container and put diesel in it, just in case. At 1,010 km, I pulled over and put fuel in. It took 42lt

So, with a 51-52+ lt tank, looks like I still had another 250km to go.  :mrgreen:

Nice drive, surprised you didn't see me along the way! (I was down in Bega, then up to the Batemans Bay, then back down Bega, across to Cooma, then up to Canberra.)

Hey Thumper, yes indeed some great roads down that way!
we must have just missed each other, i'm sure if an i30 was on the same road i would have nitice as i seem to look for them ( think i need to see a head shrink :D )
Cheers
ps was thinking about keeping some diesel in the boot, i've never done that b4 so wondering if it's safe? and is it ok in plastic container's? i have some plastic jerry can's that i use to keep fuel in they have the screw on spout. would this be ok?

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Hey lakes and Thumper,

I was on the same stretch of road last week,
Drove from Canberra to Batemans bay for a days fishing with my 9 year old son. Averaged 4.6l/p100 which i was happy with given the steep and windy roads. Didnt see any other i30's on the road.
I have started to see more of them around and that will continue as the demand coninues

Cheers

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Hey EYMATEAPOT, That is great economy for that stretch of road from BB though Braidwood to Canbera that is as twisty and hilly as anything we have in Australia i would say. only the Snowy Mountains Hwy just out of Bega compares to that.
I saw your post that you lowered your i30 40mm and are fitting 18" tyres will be interested to read your report on how it handles and feels, also who makes the lowering kit? i would also expect improved economy from car being lower it improves wind resistance. would be nice to see a pic too. i'm all for improved handling and economy, but am a hard man to sell anything too :D  unless i think it improves driving or handling.
John

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Bugger, I think we are all too busy watching the average fuel display to notice each other!  :D

Lol, anyways, yeah, nice drive, we'll need to start a Canberra i30 club, do some meets and such. (I live just outside of Canberra, close enough, and commute everyday in)

As for the fuel container, any container approved for petrol will do. Those black plastic ones by 'Rheem' I think, they are fine. (That is what I have) As for issues in the vehicle, diesel is safer than petrol. (Higher flash point, harder it ignite under normal atmosphere conditions)

I am curious as to who is doing the lowering kit. Didn't know anyone had them (Lowered springs) in Australia, yet. (I was going to hit the UK Hyundai dealers up for them, and the i30 Sport body kit)

ouri30
A little more info about the low fuel warning light.  I can't say for certain, because it is hard to tell exactly when the light comes on, but I think it is with arounf 120km to go.  I base this on the fact the trip computer has been showing this figure (or close o it) when the light comes on.

Therefore, I think it would be safe for SX owners to assume they would have 100km to got with a little to spare.

Also of interest is the observation I have made that the trip computer distance to empty will show a figure above 50km to go then stop registering shortly after this.

Bob

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Quote from: "ouri30"
A little more info about the low fuel warning light.  I can't say for certain, because it is hard to tell exactly when the light comes on, but I think it is with arounf 120km to go.  I base this on the fact the trip computer has been showing this figure (or close o it) when the light comes on.

Therefore, I think it would be safe for SX owners to assume they would have 100km to got with a little to spare.

Also of interest is the observation I have made that the trip computer distance to empty will show a figure above 50km to go then stop registering shortly after this.

Bob

Thank's Bob, good info to keep in my head for when needed.
Bob i'm thinking as you do mostly country driving, your distance could be based on that the Trip PC knows your averaging below 5L /PER 100K, were as a city boy might be only able to go about 80k, but if they are doing country miles when the light comes on then they can safely go a 100k if needed. things like this are good to know, specially if you are traveling on a trip and not sure how far to the next servo and the light comes on

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
[
I am curious as to who is doing the lowering kit. Didn't know anyone had them (Lowered springs) in Australia, yet. (I was going to hit the UK Hyundai dealers up for them, and the i30 Sport body kit)[/quote]

Thumper, I had the car lowered at Pedders suspension. They told  me it was the first one they had done. I would assume though that it would be the same springs they use in th Elantra as it i basicly the same car.
I am very happy with the result. The ride is not to different but it certainly handles just that little bit better when pushed through the curves. I dont drive it real hard so my main motivation in lowering the car was that i just prefer how the car looks sitting a bit lower. It just gives it a more aggresive look. : GRRRRR. :twisted:

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Hi Eyma,

How much did they slug you to lower your car?

Dazz

Offline EymaTeapot

• 6th Gear

• au Australia
      Canberra
Quote from: "dazzling_darryl"
Hi Eyma,

How much did they slug you to lower your car?

Dazz
Not that much, It cost me $400.
The 18" alloys cost me around $1700, For around 2 grand, I am happy with the look and the improved driving dynamics. :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

I'm trying to curb my spending... a bit so have decided against personalized plates (got my year of birth in my standard plates) but as it looks like I'm going to spend around $380 on getting a spoiler fitted to the wifes Tiida I'm tempted to emulate Thumper's exhaust mod.. If I can get it for what he paid or less.. :D

Offline Lakes

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Eyma, thank's for info on lowering, have you had it hit ground yet? Also did they say they have different shocks that fit too?

Dazz most good exhaust places should have no problem making a system, i like mandrel bends but probably not worth the trouble or cost, as the guys who have mandrel pipe benders charge to cover cost of the machine just have to make sure they don't cut off your stock mounts to weld to the new pipe, a lot do that. but you need the stock mounts if you want to go back to stock in 10 minutes

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Thanks Lakes....I'll take those points into account

Offline Thumper

• 5th Gear

• au Australia
      ACT
Ok, fuel economy looks like it is better with the free flowing exhaust.

Just came back from a trip down to Bega, via Cooma, then back to Canberra. 561km traveled, just over 1/4 tank of fuel used.

This includes cold night driving (Under 5 Degrees C) and climbing up the Brown Mountain.

Offline Dazzler

• Admin

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

Cum om Thumper Spill... what was the Trip Computer giving as the Ltrs per 100km...? 8-)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal