i30 Owners Club

i30 - Why it is the right car for me - 1 year up.

adj50 · 6 · 19478

Offline adj50

• 1st Gear

• au Australia
      Melbourne

• 2011 SX 1.6 gasoline, 4sp-auto, Melbourne, OZ
My i30, FD, built Nov2011, 1.6 gasoline 4 speed auto is now 12 months old. It has just been serviced, no irregularities noted in the workshop, and no issues to report from my side. I have travelled 9,000ks, 90% in city/suburbs, average 91RON fuel consumption is 8.2 L/100k.

My main early disappointment was with higher-than-expected fuel consumption. I discovered that my short trip/cold start driving pattern was responsible and posted my research into this subject...
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=16484.0

During this first year I went through the typical doubts as to whether I had bought the right car and posted my thoughts and concerns...
https://www.i30ownersclub.com/forum/index.php?topic=17178.0

And now, after one year, I simply confirm, “great practical car, top value for money, performing to expectations”. Would I get another one? Definitely! I have been monitoring the latest releases (i30 GD) and competitors. After all, I am now retired and “selecting my next car (in event of surprise lottery win)” is one of my top hobbies, ranked closely behind golf and travelling.

Of course my i30 is not perfect. But it would be getting very close it only Hyundai would consider...
- softer suspension settings (lots of poor quality roads in Australia)
- extra cabin noise suppression (from coarse bitumen roads, tires, wind, engine)
- improved fuel filler pipe design (enabling quicker brimming for accurate fuel calculations).
That would be easily covered by a $199 price increase, which I am sure all pensioners like me would be prepared to pay. Make us happy, Hy’dai!  :)

Offline Dazzler

• Admin
  • Laughter is the best medicine...

• au Australia
      Devonport Tasmania

• Best Car Forum on the Net
Great post.. :hatoff:

I've had 28 cars of my own and half a dozen company vehicles and have yet to find the perfect car .. I've come close with our previous '91 SSS Pulsar, 2008 i30 CRDi and my current Hybrid though.. :winker:
  • 2021 MG PHEV ( had 4 x i30 plus a Getz an Elantra and a Tucson)

Offline Doggie 1

• V.I.P
  • Doggie Connoisseur

• au Australia
      Perth

• 2019 PD2 Go Petrol, Manual. 30,000 kms.

Offline mcmonte

• 2nd Gear
  • My H is missing!

• au Australia
      Launceston

• Maybe I might possibly consider thinking about it.
Old topic, but it relates to tyres which last a while, and I'm sure adj50 still has their FD!

So with regard to the firm ride (and apologies if this has been covered elsewhere here)...tyre choice can make a noticeable difference.

Tyres of the same size, even from the same manufacturer -- let's say Dunlop for example -- will have varying qualities relating to wet/dry grip, ride and to a lesser degree, handling. I stress lesser degree because it's mostly about sidewall stiffness IMO.

Anyway. When next considering tyres, do as much research as possible. For any given size of tyre, there will always be those that give a nicer ride. They may also be quieter. They should still perform well; it doesn't have to be an either/or compromise these days (thanks to silica blends).

One that comes to mind is the Continental brand, possibly their SportContact range. But do the research and I'm sure you'll be able to improve the ride without losing out on safety.
  • Honda

Offline beerman

• V.I.P

• au Australia
Other problem is Australian motoring Journalists love to pan cars with 'soft suspension'.

To the point that Hyundai and Kia have Australian spec suspension tuned by engineers over here.
  • A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her..

Offline Phil №❶

• Top Gear
  • Loco, most of the time!

• au Australia
      Mos Eisley, South Australia
I'd like to know what the actual tuning modification is.  :exclaim:
  • 2008 SX CRDi Auto White (Lila)[hr]2010 SLX CRDi Auto Red (Ruby)

Unread Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal